Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think Cookie is starting to have some disdain for Hakeem. She’s his mama but he’s acting terribly. I thought it was funny how Porscha mentioned it was messed up that Cookie didn’t seem to have a problem with Jamal upstaging Hakeem. I believe that Cookie loves Hakeem, but that there is only so much she can do with a child who doesn’t want anything to do with her. I can understand him having issues with her, but she didn’t abandon him willingly. He could try and give her a chance.

I wonder if in developing Anika/Cookie’s rivalry, the writers will have Hakeem develop a bond with Anika. Maybe Anika could become another confidant for him like Jamal is. That’s something I think would bother Cookie, much more than Anika parading around in her underclothes. I could see Cookie being very upset with her youngest son bonding with Anika and taking her side over Cookie’s. I hope that Hakeem and Cookie will eventually become close. But I wonder if until then, the writers might have Hakeem bond with Anika, to fuel her and Cookie’s rivalry.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I like Taraji anything she's in I'm all there. Also a Terrence Howard fan since Hustle and Flo but what is pullin me in is Cookie's relationship with Jamal. Thus far I'm liking several realtionships also between the brothers. But I'm into gritty urban (hood) fiction so shows like the Wire, Power, Empire is my cup of tea. I swore I'd never watch anything on the Fox channel because of faux news but Taraji made me break my vow.

Haven't seen this week I screwed up on setting the recording...Grrr. And Jamal is definitely right the Black Community generally speaking is rough re: same sex relationships ... not just Twitter but Facebook too. Out of the two I'd say Twitter is the toughest.

Edited by Cyberologist

• Members

Re: Jamal. I don't think the writing is saying 'poor Jamal' per se. They recognize, just as we do, that he made the wrong choice by hiding himself in order to continue receiving his father's financial support. After all, he's not a saint. He's a good, sensitive kid but he ain't above needing money to survive.

His choice doesn't mean, however, that he doesn't feel horrible about it. What else was he supposed to do? How would he survive? When you've grown up filthy rich, can you really just throw it all away that easily?

At least, in the end, he defied Lucious and sang with his brother.

• Members

You're right about that. Thinking back on it, it's weird they didn't address it, considering the police were on their way at the end of the scene. I guess we were meant to infer that Lucious' influence/Hakeem's celebrity helped him get away with it.

• Members

Lol I literally have been telling everyone who was on the fence to get on board and watch the ish. Cuz it's just that damn good.

Andre should have stood up for his mom. I don't care if he was in the midst of a nervous breakdown or off his rocker. Aint no way in hell I'd ever let some two bit punk rapper disrespect my mom like that in an elevator full of people.

Lucius punching Hakeem out was hilarious and I nearly died at every scene with her Porsha. Loved the Dora reference....