• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think I need to watch again.

Anika vs. Cookie has potential. I loved her evil little laugh after Fofo was calling Cookie bitch left and right and then Cookie was ready to rip her. I can see Anika deliberately pushing Cookie's buttons. According to the previews it seems Anika's the one who has Cookie photographed with the agents. I loved Cookie's toast to her at their family dinner in the preview.

Rhonda is growing on me. She literally has Andre's balls in her hands. I'm interested to see where they take her. I liked that PR person (Dominique?) with Rhonda and I liked the rapport between Cookie and Rhonda. Also curious to see where that goes.

I think they killed off Bunkie a bit too quickly and I'm not sure that having Lucious do it was the smartest thing. I'm curious where it goes but that's one beat I feel should have played out longer. I feel like it was more for shock value than anything but we'll see how it progresses.

Love Jamal and Hakeem's relationship and I can definitely see it getting ugly, but I like that they ultimately have each other's back and tell each other everything. I also like how Jamal's sexuality doesn't even register with Hakeem. It doesn't matter. I do think it's slightly reflective of our current youth. It doesn't, and shouldn't matter. Not saying everyone is accepting of course, but it truly shouldn't even matter.

Loved the parenting scene between Lucious and Cookie at the club. Anika was clearly threatened and she quickly got over there and threw out an insult to Cookie. Definitely came off insecure.

Back to the elevator scene, I liked how Cookie got upset at Lucious for not defending her. That brief moment was good and then for Lucious to fire Fofo. That was good.

I like Hakeem, at times, but he was pushing my last nerve last night. I think it's typical behavior but he needs to have a few seats. I'm ready for him to be beat by another broom. I'm also disappointed that Tianna chick gave in so easily. That really disappointed me. I won't lie, I also got Rhianna/Chris Brown, Whitney/Bobby vibes here. Hakeem seems like he could really lose his [!@#$%^&*] if pushed too far.

Loved how Cookie just waltzed into Jamal's and sat right down next to them as they were making out. LOL. "Shut up Dora" ... I just love her. But man, the boyfriend needs a little bit more to do, even though I don't think he comes off as the strongest actor, but that's just me and it's not like he's been given more than a few lines. Glad they had that scene of Lucious threatening to take away Jamal's funding if he came out. I do like that Lucious still takes care of him. I roll my eyes a bit at Jamal always wanting Lucious to like something or accept him. I do get that struggle and his desire for it but it's also like ... just be you. I don't know.

I liked Becky finding the pills and googling them and telling Lucious she knows. That was a good scene. I'm curious about their relationship. He's downright rude to her yet it's almost like a brother/sister relationship. I do worry about Gabby. She's fabulous but I'm a little concerned by her weight. I'm ready to see more of her though.

I see that I'm "curious" about a lot of things. That's good. My interest is being held and I want to know more. That's good writing. Plain and simple.

I did cringe a bit at the Barack stuff.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Anika has no presence. I wonder if its the actress bc the character just comes across bland. The writing seems to be there as she had some feisty moments but my eyes are never on her when she's on the screen. She's just there and seems too low key. She's very basic and doesnt feel like a worthy adversary to Cookie

• Members

I think Anika is supposed to be the stuck up ice queen to Cookie's warm down to earth mother. I think the actress does fine. I am only minimally interested in her just because I don't think she is a worthy adversary. If she was the mother of one of Luscious children and they were married then I would feel differently. But as things stands, she is just a warm body waiting to be removed

Edited by ajsp35801

• Members

Lucious seems so uninterested in Anika, especially now that Cookie's around more. It's interesting to watch that. His eyes always go to Cookie. I think they need to show us a little more of Anika and Lucious's relationship because I see very little between them.

• Members

Agreed on Anika. It's not that the writing, or the potential, aren't there but something is not coming across. Especially considering who that actress has to play again: Taraji. But maybe's that the whole point. I'd be sad if that's the case because I think they could benefit from an Anika with stronger presence/actress.

• Members

I don't think there was a single soul who found that BJ sexy, nor was it supposed to be!!

I kept thinking, why isn't this bitch played by Kelly Ripa? LOL

laugh.png

I do hope the show handles the matter better than that but that was funny!

Chit! Don't go hating on Jamal! He's a talented, cute, sensitive young man, who also has issues with his father, and can't let go of his financial influence. And I'm hoping we'll learn more. Nobody said he needs to be ultra complex, not right now. :P

Edited by YRBB

• Members

That killed me. So heartbreaking.

This show is, first and foremost IMO, about that relationship between those two. It's their love story and I'm sure it will go back between love and hate many times. Yes, Taraji is consistently electric but people need to not dismiss Terrence Howard. He does so much with his eyes, and they do it together. Especially in that elevator scene. It was obvious from the pilot that Lucious is still fascinated by her and needs her, that he knows she is compromising to his (self-)interests but he can't help it. He pretends he hates how she behaves and what she says about him losing his edge, but he loves it and needs it. Anika knows it too, which is why she is pushing that envelope to see how far she can wound Cookie without Lucious stepping in, and prancing around in front of Cookie trying to mark her territory.

I thought it was Vernon/Malik Yoba who repped for Cookie at the family meeting, telling Hakeem not to talk to her that way. That was interesting, because they do all go way back. He got dismissed by Cookie as a toady last week, but he was clearly crushed when he saw Bunky.

That interview scene was also very good, and I thought pretty honest, particularly when he lost control re: Trayvon Martin. The bit at the end where he said he didn't think his sons weren't listening to him, or maybe he wasn't listening to them was wonderful.

Hakeem does some dumb [!@#$%^&*] but he has a good heart. His obvious respect and love for his brother got me back at the end of the episode. This is a soap so inevitably their relationship will be smashed up by drama, but that's part of the primetime soap grind. Heartbreak and harmony. I do still adore Jamal, though.

It irks me that critics are already trying to [!@#$%^&*] on this show for being what it is - a big-ass primetime soap. What did you all expect? People make excuses for crazy [!@#$%^&*] like Scandal and call those something other than what they are, but Empire makes no pretensions to be anything else. Maybe that's why it takes all the heat. I thought this was a very, very strong and heartfelt episode. Sure, it has broad soapy bits (Obama, etc.) but it also has a heart and something to say for itself and for its characters. Which a lot of shows trying to be bigger, whiter primetime soaps don't know how to do, they all talk in buzzspeak.

Also: That bib [!@#$%^&*] made my jaw drop.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I still don't know what this battle would be about, one is a singer the other is a rapper. So, I'm hoping that Hakeem subconsciously helps out his brother. Like in this week episode. It will also put a damper on Andre & Rhonda scheme. Hakeem still going to need somebody to talk to about his feelings for Cookie.

Anybody watch afterbuzz tv on youtube one of the female panel brought up an interesting thing about Andre & the elevator scene.

Edited by MoTheGreat