Judge Parker (comic) [1952-]

vote4llama

• Members

I know this is a canceled soaps board but I didn't know where else to post this.  It's a daily serial comic strip that's been running since 1952.  I just discovered it.  It's interesting to see how it's paced and also changed over the decades like other soaps.  I've never been one for graphic novels, but I think I'll give it a shot.  

For example:  three consecutive days from 1969 followed by 3 consecutive days from this month

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

From looking at it briefly it's odd to see the differences I'v been looking at it on comicskingdom.com All the recent images are free. The archive with late 60s and early 70s cost money but I'm using a free one week subscription to look at the old ones.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Serialized comic strips can be quite fun an addictive. Dick Tracy, especially, can often play like a really broad soap opera especially when you take into account marriages, births, divorces, growing up, etc. (albeit at a MUCH slower rate than reality lol). It's great that a lot of the long running serialized strips have started to be collected in hardcover bound editions from the beginning.

• Members

For Better Or For Worse sometimes had the tone of a soap (especially the daughter, Elizabeth, and her storylines), helped by natural aging.

Gasoline Alley had natural aging too.

Some of the Depression era of Little Orphan Annie was very soapy.

Archived