Are you a smoker?

Sundance

• Members

Woo Hoo! I know no that I am not the most boring person on the planet!! I hate smoking and alcohol!! Too many lushes and smokers in my family and I learned from there mistakes. My parents drink very rarely but my mother gets drunk with one wine cooler so when there is a party and she begins to drink wine it is the most embarrassing thing in the world. I hate it because it looks stupid plus people are laughing with her. I am more offended that people laugh with her than at her, actually. When she has two wine coolers it is like Erica on libidozne dancing on a piano but time 2000.

That said, I am a guy so I may just be the most boring straight guy in the world......

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was thinking the same thing. If we are talking about other things, then yes I am an occasional smoker. (Though my high-school/early college self would argue with the term "occasional").

____

I got into a huge argument with my sister a few months back about her smoking cigarettes. It culminated with me saying something along the lines of "You're not 22 anymore, you're a woman in your 30's, you're married and you have a child. Grow the [!@#$%^&*] up."

Now I will say, my sister NEVER smokes in front of my nephew or around him. There is no smoking in her house - her and her husband only smoke outside, and never when my nephew is around, so they aren't exposing him to second hand smoke. But he knows they do it and he's old enough to start understanding the ramifications and start asking questions, and it's a complete waste of money. She had quit for several years, and only started again after getting married...A total WTF to me, but whatever.

• Members

For me, smoking and drinking go hand-in-hand. A drink or two, and here comes the craving for a smoke. Not that I've never done it, but generally speaking, I've never been one to light up first thing in the morning or smoke during the day, period. In acting school, many of us bonded over cigs during our half point breaks in stressful 90 minute acting class, and I used to enjoy smoke breaks with my old boss who I was crushing on (imagine early '70s Strasser/Lucci). But I enjoy smoking most as an end of the evening wind down in my garage with a few drinks. I used to enjoy this with my brother and dad when we lived together, and I pretty much associate smoking and drinking with fun social times, so I guess it could be seen as "sad" when I do it alone, but it's really not that deep for me. Just my relaxing alone time. I do need to go back to my e-cigs however if this is something I'm going to continue to do. As for the wacky tobacky, I have never enjoyed it: nausea, paranoia, migraines.

• Members

You know, how unusual you should mention that, as Maryjane has been touted by many as a cure for nausea for those under chemo and radiation. My brother used compazine and got horrible hallucinating nightmares, but none of that with pot. Of course, I'm miss priss... never smoked a cigarette, only tasted liquor like 4 times, never liked it, first, it made me nauseous, and I HATE the concept of a cold drink that feels hot going down..... and I don't even drink coffee. Everyone has some kind of vice, though... and mine would be ice cream and chips. Quartermainfan talked about scratching that "itch".. and for me, the crunch of a tasty chip does it like no other.

• Members

By the way, even though I smoke, the smell of smoke really disgusts me when I'm NOT smoking, especially on a hot day. But curiously, there are certain brands that smell so good to me on a crisp night when I walk by somebody smoking. I've probably been drinking though. I can't stand menthols and have only smoked them out of desperation (stupid).

• Members

Alpha, it's funny you should mention that as one of my best friends thought it was weird that pot gave me migraines as her boyfriend smoked it to help him through his. Something about that skunky smell goes straight to my migraine center above my left eye. The last time I smoked, I barfed. It's just not for me and I have zero desire to keep trying to "make it happen". No thanks.

• Members

Pot is the best thing that ever happened to my insomnia. I've taken everything under the sun, prescription and OTC: ambien, lunesta, sonata, trazadone, valerian, melatonin, etc… All of them left me groggy or gave me blackouts. With pot, I smoke a few puffs before bed and sleep like a normal human being. It has the added benefit of mitigating some of my back pain depending on the strain I smoke.

• Members

That would be bourbon for me. Two drinks, and I am out like a light.

My previously mentioned friend's boyfriend worked at a dispensary in L.A. I really had no idea that there were so many varieties. Maybe I just haven't met the right one yet.

• Members

That's often the problem. People get some ditch weed they buy from some parking attendant then have a bad reaction. There are two types of marijuana (sativa and indica) and a million different strains of each. Get the right medical strain and it's night and day.

• Members

And plenty of hybrids too. A vaporizer also eliminates the smoke so you just get THC. People haven't found any links between weed smoke and cancer but it doesn't hurt to be safe. I also prefer the clear-headed feeling from a vape.

Even though I can usually fall asleep after drinking, I end up waking up really early in the morning. I think it disrupts my sleep cycle.

Archived