The Best Man Holiday! Hmmmmmm

ChitHappens

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't understand what took them so long to greenlight this movie. I hate to be this way, but it is pure racism. No way you can take that script and that cast and not sign Malcolm D. Lee to a major deal and develop several projects around this cast. Now 15 years later the same stands. Considering how well this cast has maintained their careers in thankless Hollywood and now we see this film neck-and-neck with Thor, despite being in 1,800 LESS theaters. I can't even begin to imagine how well this film would've done if it had also been marketed for audiences of all race, instead of just in black markets.

This was like the fabulous primetime soap that should be, but isn't. Like Knots Landing for modern audiences on cable. The only complaint I'd have is that there was a little too much Melissa DeSousa and that they should've developed Eddie Cibrian's character more. For him to be Nia Long's love interest and be so disconnected didn't work for me. I also thought Regina Hall was a [!@#$%^&*] star, but I've always been a huge fan of hers.

• Members

Funny thing is, Chris, the theater I went to had more non black people in the audience than I imagined. From the marketing I have seen, it was pretty out there for anyone (last week, the cast hit quite a few shows).

As for EC, the less of him, the better, but I think the reason behind him being so disconnected was because of Jordan and her unwillingness to commit. I thought they weren't going to his family together because of him and the race issue had not been addressed, but it was actually Jordan.

• Members

In my theater, it had more white people than I expected, but so many people had no idea this film was out. I think that's why the story of their 34 Million weekend is so shocking. Even the studio predicted 14 Million for their weekend. While they did hit the talk show rounds, the overall marketing was to a black audience, especially when it came to who gets to see the trailers.

• Members

Wait, they killed off Mia? For the love of Zeus, WHY? angry.pngangry.pngangry.pngangry.png

The "shock" over this success is very reminiscent of the same reaction to the first flick's success, so I'm not even surprised by the shade. Nevertheless, I am happy for Malcolm, Spike, Morris, Monica, Nia, Sanaa, Melissa, Regina, and Harold that their movie had a great opening weekend.

• Members

leema__131119024558.jpg

bmh__131119024653.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: After a rousing opening weekend that saw his sequel The Best Man Holiday gross over $30 million domestically, Malcolm D. Lee is negotiating a deal with Universal to write, direct and produce another installment of the hit ensemble romantic comedy. Sean Daniel is also in talks to come back and produce another film through his The Sean Daniel Company shingle. No word yet on locking in the ensemble cast. I don’t believe they have options on a third film, so clearly all of them will be looking for pay bumps. First, Lee has to write it. It took 14 years for Lee to come back with a sequel, but this one is going to happen much more quickly. He is rewriting to direct an untitled project for Fox Searchlight, but this clearly becomes a priority project for Universal

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/universal-malcolm-d-lee-in-talks-to-make-the-best-man-holiday-sequel-after-monster-opening/

Archived