Favorite double hanky songs of all time

alphanguy74

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Rev. James Cleveland's "What Shall I Do?" He led this song at a Gospel Music Workshop of America (an annual event he created) performance when he was dying (allegedly from AIDS). Lyrics: "What shall I do? What steps should I take? What moves should I make? Oh Lord, what shall I do? I'm going to wait for an answer from you, I have nothing to lose, oh Lord, what shall I do?" He testifies about being utterly despondent after his heart attack, being rushed to an L.A. hospital. He anticipates his impending death, giving a farewell message to his loyal followers. Very sad in the context of gay shame and scandal that followed him pre- and post-death.

• Members

I don't think any song has reduced me to tears, but these two really tug at my heartstrings, especially when sung by these two wonderful voices. It's really the lyrics that make them as moving as they are though, so unless you understand Swedish they probably won't be as powerful as they really are.

They were both written by the same two brothers, Ted and Kenneth Gärdestad, and originally sung by Ted. He was one of Sweden's brightest stars during the 1970s and had his breakthrough at the tender age of 15 in 1971. During the 1980s he became involved with a cult, and he later suffered from psychological problems (schizofrenia).

In the early 1990s he made a comeback with, among others, these two songs, but his life ended tragically when he committed suicide by jumping in front of a train in 1997.

• Members

Gladys Knight - End of The Road

Tanya Tucker - Lizzie and the Rainman (for some odd reason, I lose it at this one, especially the way she does it live these days)

Joe Cocker - You Are So Beautiful (ever since seeing the episode of Knots Landing where Pat Williams got run over with this song)

Martina McBride - Independence Day (especially a live version she did right after 9/11, I cry just thinking about it)

Whitney Houston - I Didn't Know My Own Strength (Live on Oprah, that was definitely one of the best performance she gave in her later years)

• Members

I always get teary-eyed when this song is played on the radio.

http://youtu.be/fgCOUO-s8nY

Roughly translated to English, the lyrics are:

It was so quiet that every one of us knew

It would be like that forever,

Forever and a whole lifetime,

And it was so quiet,

That every one of us guessed

That there isn't a word

Which could ever describe this feeling,

It was so quiet that all clocks remained silent,

Time came to a standstill,

You went away so quietly and so lost,