Worst PSA Story

• Members

I agree, although I do think Michele Lee did a good job with the story.

In terms of bad PSA stories I think it has to go to the WTF one-off episodes they used to do, like the evil biker gang. I also wasn't a huge fan of the Val cancer episode, although I did understand the point and respected the show for doing it.

And I thought most of Gary's alcoholism (on Knots anyway) was just an excuse to have Ted Shackelford go apeshit.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And then there was the time Cricket decided to rescue all the helpless crack babies. I forget, did that get resolved with Danny putting on a concert?

Oh, I thought his "dry drunk" period was the worst. Gary knows picking up the bottle again would be a mistake, so he decides to become a NASCAR driver instead. Or something like that. I felt the writers were treading water on that one.

• Members

Mimi's Abortion durling Reilly's DAYS 2.0 was so heavy handed anti-abortion it was jarring. And considering Reilly's use of God/Angels/Demons/Church(es) it felt like a sermon. I think that's when I finally tuned out. Not a good storyline at all. Plus I always felt as though Reilly believed that Salem & Harmony were real places and he was their God and/or savior.

• Members

I didn't care for the short-term arc involving OLTL's Viki's maid and her abusive husband. I'm sure it was researched thoroughly beforehand, but I felt like that story would have been more effective with characters we'd known for awhile.

• Members

Fancy's rape on Passions was so horrible I watched the second rape with my fingers over my eyes. She just kept getting attacked over and over for like three months. And then Luis got violated too and then we see the rapist walking around with this creepy ass mask. Were they trying to give their young viewers nightmares? And then when we did find out her rapist's identity the show never actually acknowledged that it was an incestual rape.

• Members

But that wasn't played as a PSA either, was it? I mean, were characters spouting off statistics about how many women are raped each year and how few come forward? Were characters making references to rape crisis hotlines and counseling? To me a PSA story is about trying to tell a story while also educating viewers on an important issue.

• Members

I seems like 1979 was a big year for rape PSA stories on soaps. Off hand that I can remember:

Luke raped Laura on GH on the floor of the Disco.

Karen was raped on OLTL.

Roger raped Holly on GL in a marital rape storyline.

Roger raped Rita on GL, might be more late 1978.

Nick Reed tried to rape Nikki on Y&R and she killed him with a lamp.

Archived