Worst PSA Story

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate the ones where drug use is a complete joke.

Lucky's addiction on GH was by far the worse. Especially the last time around. If a high was that depressing and bad no one would want to get high! I got annoyed and had to avoid those scenes. That year in general drugs and alcoholism were one big joke on the show.

On GH Kristina had a 2 day hydrocodone addiction that Ethan's kindness cured. Her only symptom was sleepiness and I don't know what withdrawals she was talking about because we saw none.

Also Sonny was allegedly off his meds when he was acting more calm than I'd seen him act towards a woman in awhile that summer his marriage to Brenda ended. He wasn't acting out of the ordinary and all of a sudden they said he'd been off his meds for months.

• Members

Luke's alcoholism and Jake's death should be on here too, if they count.

And the cyberbullying story on OLTL. What a fiasco that was. They spent so much time making sure viewers knew Jack had ultimately done nothing wrong in bullying Shane (that the actions of Shane and Rex made it retroactively justified), and Jack was the true victim.

• Members

I believe David Jacobs and his team held the best of intentions with that storyline. I truly do. Not every person who develops a drug addiction is a "thug," they were saying. Sometimes, it could be the person you'd least expect.

But, in all fairness, I felt that story was much better suited for Constance McCashin's Laura.

• Members

During my summer hiatus from these boards, I watched a lot of old shows on Netflix -- in particular, "Quincy, M.E." Now, in retrospect, that series suffered from some pretty bad, ham-fisted writing and acting. (If I never hear Jack Klugman go on another rant about how bureaucracies in this country eat away at individuals' basic rights, it will be too soon.) But one episode that I thought was "okay" concerned a middle-aged guy, played by Gerald O'Loughlin, who was the newly installed coroner's investigator, but who had never learned to read on account of his being the son of Jewish immigrants who was embarrassed in school by the language barrier between him and his classmates. Again, not the greatest episode -- Quincy's argument with a frustrated high school teacher who passes students through without bothering to help them gain better literacy skills was so one-sided, it made the "I learned it from watching YOU!!!" PSA seem also Chekhovian by comparison -- but on the surface, at least, I thought it was a good twist on addressing what remains a timely subject.

Archived