For P&G Soaps Fans: How would YOU bring 'em back?

• Members

I could see All My Shadows ATWT idea working, but unlike the ABC soaps, I wouldn't focus so much on the past and trying to pick up where we left off. REBOOT these damn shows for real. I don't care if the sets look the same, I want them to look good and modern. Make these shows compete with primetime and international soaps, not that old tired daytime soap look. For ATWT I'd try to focus on bringing back maybe one family, the Hughes and try and get as many key characters from that family back. Beyond that I'd feature mostly new families. This way you can tell your own stories and fill the gaps without having to worry about why so and so isn't around. Some of these families are just huge with so many different kids and parent combinations. For GL I think it would be more interesting to just do a remake and take it back to the beginning.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another thing I would do with bringing back ATWT and GL is to bring in more "unsoapy," looking people. I watched a little bit of the reboots of both Prospect Park shows and everyone looks so plasticy soapy. I would take a not from some of the successful prime time show like Mad Men or Walking Dead (uh, without the zombies) and have some sexy looking but unsoapy people to be on the shows. GL and ATWT were always more down to earth so it would be easy to do it and set it apart from being a steortypical soapy looking hunks and vixens.

• Members

I would reboot Another World as a nightly soap opera focused on the Cory family and their jobs in Publishing, the Hospital and politics.

The first two stories would be the main stories, with the rest supporting.building into leads.

Amanda would be going through a divorce and decide to take an active role at CP, after years of sitting on the board and doing charity work. She would find that there was missing money, and lots of it. Her soon to be ex-husband would accuse her of hiding the money to cut his percent of what he gets in the divorce and she calls an old family friend, Cass, to look see if he can recommend anyone to help her look into this. He returns to town, bringing with him a new male 30 something who he hired in the past, Omar. Omar starts looking through Cory Publishings financial records and find that money started to vanish after current CEO Mike West took over eight years ago. As Omar starts to dig into Mike's background, he finds some connections to the chicago mob scene through his birth father that he reconnected with shortly before taking over.

Matt Cory is chief of staff at BCMH, and he is about to have his work cut out for him when a botched surgery by a drunk doctor results in a patent becoming paralyzed. His current director of public relations is not up to the task of dealing with this much press, resulting in his asking Lorna Devon to help out. The last thing Lorna wants is to return to bay city, but Matt had been such a good friend to her in the past ten years she agrees to handle it, but from afar.

Alli Fowler is a single mother, and is instant upon making it on her own and not living of the Cory name and money. She is a manager at a restaurant in Bay City but dreams of reopponing TOPS as she always heard such great stories about it from everyone in town. The current restaurant in that location is up for sale and Alli knows Amanda and Rachel would buy it for her, but shes been so headstrong about not asking for help since having her child against there wishes she turns to an investment group instead, and the head of the group remembers TOPS and bay City fondly, so he approves it.

Paulina and Joe are still married and doing well, however she is now a mother of four and he is always busy, she is always busy and is starting to feel bored and unappreciated. Both of them are involved in politics, he as the mayor of bay city and she as an advocate for different causes. She makes friends with Russell Brown, a construction project manager that she meets with to do some remodeling on the Cory Mansion.

Maggie Cory is the new wife of Carlos Martinez, who is working his way up through politics. Maggie is a nurse at the hospital, and was a part of the botched surgery Matt is dealing with, causing controversy for her husband who isnt pleased with the scandal as he is planning on running against Joe for mayor in the relection, something he has kept from Maggie.

Jasmine Corey is now 18 years old and ready to leave bay City. After her mother, Lilas, death when she was fifteen, she felt her father, Matt, pulled away and while she was always close to Rachel, shes been counting down the days til she could get out of here. However, her plans change when she meets a new girl in town, Alex. The two start to date and jasmin cant imagine leaving town now, but Alex is from a poorer family who needs her to stay and work at their small company and help raise her younger siblings. They were not happy when their daughter came out to them, but they see opportunity knocking when she brings home a Cory.

Of course other people from the past would appear here and there, some as parents of the teen/20s set that the corys in that age range would be involved with. Rachel would be in and out.

• Members

Atwt would be the easiest soap by far to bring back. I would recycle the original 1956 scripts with very modern twists with a focus on the Hewes and Walsh f(instead of Lowell) fams.

No Snyders sans Jack and Carly. This soap needs to be stripped bsck to the core and aside from Lucinda and Barbara no oldsters are needed. I woould look the CW for actors.

Atwt would be the easiest soap by far to bring back. I would recycle the original 1956 scripts with very modern twists with a focus on the Hewes and Walsh f(instead of Lowell) fams.

No Snyders sans Jack and Carly. This soap needs to be stripped bsck to the core and aside from Lucinda and Barbara no oldsters are needed. I woould look the CW for actors.

• Members

I've talked about what I'd do to GL in some earlier threads. And I think EON basically revives itself.

I did watch ATWT off and on, but I don't feel my history there is extensive enough to comment.

• Members

I'll be blunt---stop hijacking the thread.

Back on topic.....

I was going to enumerate what I wanted to see happen--more contemporary stories, no uber-villains (until I realized my favorite dramas this season Arrow and Person of Interest had them)....but then I realized the most important thing a rebooted (or resumed) ATWT really needs. TPTB that CARE. To me, that starts with a corporate interest that supports them, but doesn't micromanage stories to death with "focus groups" or recycling the dregs of what's left of soap opera writers.

• Members

You might have a point. The more I think about re-starting any P&G soap, the easier it is to come up with ideas on how to do that for EON over the other shows. GL, in particular, feels like a show you'd have to begin again with all new characters.

• Members

I agree Edge of Night would be the easiest to bring back, I would focus on the descendants of the characters that appeared in the last several years of the show. I would love if EON was on DVD so I can see that soap, sucks it finished before I was born..

GL and ATWT, that would be hard to do... I would need a refresher course on those soaps again as well (but for ATWT, I'd focus on the Hughes family, bring back the Lowells as well, but I would keep the Snyders (maybe bring back the ones who left town like Seth, Caleb, Josh and Iva),

GL.. the Bauers would be the main focus with the Spauldings and Lewises I selfishly wouldn't mind bringing back the Ruthledges, the Fraziers, the Marlers, the Reardons, the Chamberlains as well

Archived