For P&G Soaps Fans: How would YOU bring 'em back?

• Members

Deleting a certain member while they are it would suit me fine.

But back on topic: Khan, how far back do you go with the P&G soaps? I am an old time GL fan, back to the late 70's. I am surprised that P&G has not set up their own internet channel and download their libraries with limited commercials. It's money in the bank for them. No overhead costs, just some residuals, I would assume. I am not even sure that there were clauses in contracts in the 70's and 80's for rebroadcast residuals for actors and writers. Anyway, rather than a re-launch of the soaps, I would be in Soap Heaven if they just downloaded old eps of Edge, AW, ATWT and GL for our mass consumption. I kind of feel like the time has passed for re-boots of those shows, but being able to see those classic shows would be great! I am a lifetime OLTL fan, so I never watched ATWT; it would be a brand new show to me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, cassadine, I think there are two ways (probably more) you could go with a EON re-do. You could pick it up in the present-day with descendants of the more important characters, as you've suggested; or you could essentially do a re-set, put it in the present, but go back to Mike Karr as a young attorney and family man. I think either approach would work. The show's basic format is just that good and that durable. For my money, though, I'd love to see someone go with the latter approach, if only because the show's original storyline (Mike married to Sara, who comes from a notorious crime family) is such a great idea, loaded with possibilities and EASILY believable in these times.

On another note: do you have any ideas on how to bring back the Ruthledges on GUIDING LIGHT? I've always wished GL had done just this thing!

• Members

AS THE WORLD TURNS, EDGE OF NIGHT, and GUIDING LIGHT were all like family heirlooms for me. My mother watched them, and so did two of my grandparents. So, they've always been around, if you know what I mean. (Oh, [!@#$%^&*], the local independent radio station is playing "Guiding Light" by the band Television right now, lol.) In fact, the first soap I watched on my own probably was SEARCH FOR TOMORROW, shortly after they had moved to NBC; and of course, my friend, Nicole, turned me onto ANOTHER WORLD in a big way when we were in elementary school. ;)

• Members

well I always wanted them to stay on GL.. I even gave them another daughter I think I named her Joan (foolishly I had Debbie Reynolds in my mind for the role) and she married and divorced I think one of the Holdens and had this affair with Bruce Banning and she married Mike Bauer and went to Another World with him, and later divorced and remarried him and then she ultimately married HB Lewis

but how would I bring them back.. well it would have to connect to the Bauers for the Ruthledges to come back

• Members

I agree about the idea of TPTB that care. That said people can care and have no idea what on earth they are doing.

If Prospect Park owned the rights to the P&G shows, some of the actors would be having to do double duty.

To me a remake of TEON wouldn't have much appeal as I have zero background with that show. So I wouldn't know where to start since I didn't have access to the episodes that streamed on AOL, and when they reran it on USA way back (along with SFT) I didn't have cable.

For AW, I would focus on the next generation solely because the program has been off air since 1999. I'd have Olivia and Dennis's daughter Sarah (who was born in 92) and Cass and Frankie's daughter Charlie (born 1994) be rivals. Sarah is Iris's granddaughter and a Matthews, so she would have ties well back into the show's history and Charlie is a Frame. They would be out of college working at Cory at the lowest end of the corporate ladder. Sarah and Charlie would fight due to Sarah having an in being family though not as liked, while Charlie got love and support. Felicia would be a surrogate guide to Charlie, while Sarah would feel frustrated by Rachel. I'd have Jamie being both a Frame and as Rachel's oldest as part of the older set as well...and we'd see him with his son Steven as that relationship was forgotten. Kirkland who was born the same year as Charlie wasn't SORASed as much, so I'd keep him and Dante slightly younger. They would be in college still, and looking for women, though eventually realized they love each other. This would upset Joe and Grant though Paulina would have no problem with it.

For ATWT, I would look and see who was available and work from there. Part of the problem is a lot of them either moved west or have jobs elsewhere, which would mean recasting roles. (So no Jack and Carly for example...) Also ATWT foolishly over the years killed off some legacy kids. I'd have Kim and Bob and introduce grandchildren via Frannie as seriously there should be some grandchildren. Lisa would be on and I'd recast Scott again and have Scott have some kids. The majority younger characters on ATWT would be slightly older than the ones on AW as we could use some of the Snyder characters we already knew. I did like the idea of Mitch's about making HBS play Margo again...so she'd be doing double duty as there is no way they would bring back Margaret Collin and Justin Deas as Margo and Tom.

For GL, I'd start with Rick/Mindy together and married, Beth/Phillip still not married but together. Holly and Ed would be a duo, but in a sense of we love one another, we loved other people more, but our relationship is healthy and those other people are dead (Roger and Maureen obviously). Basically everyone's happiness is screwed up when Blake's boys come home though Frank is out of the picture as Blake chose her kids over him. The twins know everything though their being in town causes problems and potentially the end of the four musketeers and Ed/Holly as while the boys love Ed they are waging war against Rick. Their little sister Clarissa has a romance with Michelle's son Robbie think Bill/Michelle at age 12 not knowing if they could date because of what was happening between Vanessa and Bridget over Peter. The audience of course is told in episode one that Ross didn't die after all via a cliffhanger (and if PP owned the rights we would be in a double duty situation for a time), but we don't see him every day as he is in an undisclosed hospital though not being held hostage. Ross is given a fake identity once he wakes up and goes through rehab. The government project also involved former Springfield residents: Jim Reardon (who runs a think tank) and Claire Ramsey (Michelle's biological mother) who reconnected after she left in 2002. Claire and Jim know it is Ross, but are forced to keep quiet. We see Claire and Jim occasionally interact with Ed on medical matters or about Michelle tying the stories together. We're supposed to feel badly for Claire and Jim as they aren't bad people, but stuck in a situation where they aren't able to do what is right. Eventually Claire and Jim come up with a way to get Ross back to Springfield without risking all of their lives and their work, but they still don't tell him who he is as if they did they would be caught.

When it comes to what Dale said about archive stuff that is my dream...I thought we may get that and then SoapClassics came and went way too quickly.

• Members

It's Edge Of Night or nothing. EON is the only soap (save for Dark Shadows) that could be retooled again and again and still stay true to its purpose. You could take Mike Carr and stick him in 1950, 1980 or 2010 and there would still be a simple structure of someone accused of murder to base a story around.

• Members

I had some GL ideas that were mostly thrown together, like Mindy and Rick adopting a troubled teenage girl, and this causing some conflict with Leah (de-aged to be around 16 or 17), who would resent her father spending so much time on his new, white daughter, who is causing so many problems, while she has to be perfect and he barely notices.

India is angry that no one told her Philip was alive or Alan was dead, and begins working with Amanda to get control of Spaulding. Lizzie is running Spaulding, as Philip is trying to stay away from the memories, but her approach is by turns flighty and abrasive, leading her to clash with Vanessa, all while Bill is caught in the middle. When she pushes Vanessa too far, Vanessa sides with Amanda and India to boot Lizzie out of Spaulding, and then the focus turns to the three of them dealing with sexism and ageism, and scheming against each other over power, etc.

I would also bring India's daughter Dorie in, with a preteen son.

I'd have Bridget and Dylan as recurring characters, and along with Vanessa, trying to grapple with Peter becoming more like his grandfather every day (minus the rapes). Perhaps have Bridget running the boarding house again.

I'd bring in Trudy Bauer, her kids, and grandkids, to basically take over the Bauer mantle. If Helen Gallagher is still acting I'd have her as Trudy, even if she's only able to make limited appearances.

Archived