The Tomorrow People: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The Tomorrow People

They are the next evolutionary leap of mankind, a generation of humans born with paranormal abilities — the Tomorrow People. Stephen Jameson stands at the crossroads between the world we know and the shifting world of the future. Up until a year ago, Stephen was a “normal” teenager — until he began hearing voices and teleporting in his sleep, never knowing where he might wake up. Now, Stephen’s issues have gone far beyond the usual teenage angst, and he is beginning to question his sanity. In desperation, Stephen decides to listen to one of the voices in his head, and it leads him to his first encounter with the Tomorrow People — John, Cara and Russell — a genetically advanced race with the abilities of telekinesis, teleportation and telepathic communication. The Tomorrow People are being hunted down by a paramilitary group of scientists known as Ultra. Led by Dr. Jedikiah Price, Ultra sees the Tomorrow People as a very real existential threat from a rival species, and the outcast group has been forced to hide out in an abandoned subway station just beneath the surface of the human world. Trading in secrets, Jedikiah offers Stephen the chance for a normal life with his family and best friend, Astrid, if he will help in the struggle to isolate and eradicate the Tomorrow People. On the other hand, Cara, John and Russell offer Stephen a different type of family and a home where he truly belongs. Unwilling to turn his back on humanity or the world of the Tomorrow People, Stephen sets out on his own path — a journey that could take him into the shadowy past to uncover the truth about his father’s mysterious disappearance, or into an unknown future with THE TOMORROW PEOPLE. The series stars Robbie Amell (“Revenge”) as Stephen, Luke Mitchell (“H20: Just Add Water”) as John, Peyton List (“Mad Men”) as Cara, Aaron Yoo (“Disturbia,” “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist”) as Russell, Mark Pellegrino (“Lost,” “Supernatural”) as Dr. Jedikiah Price, and Madeleine Mantock (upcoming “All You Need is Kill”) as Astrid.

THE TOMORROW PEOPLE is from Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “Green Lantern”), Julie Plec (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Kyle XY”), Phil Klemmer (“Political Animals,” “Chuck”) and Danny Cannon (“Nikita,” “CSI: NY”). The pilot was directed by Danny Cannon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

So excited that they have cast Nicholas Young from the original "Tomrorow People" in a recurring role for episodes 8 and 9! I never watched the original, but I am a fan of 70s British science fiction, so I am delighted that executive producers Greg Berlanti, Julie Plec, and Danny Cannon are all fans of the original 70s British series from seeing it growing up and honor a lot of it in this reboot even as they change the series radically to fit contemporary television.

From the names of many of the characters, to the "3 T's" (telepathy, teleportation, telekinesis), to the computer TIM, to an underground base, to the term "breaking out," to respecting that Tomorrow People can't kill as part of the next stage of human evolution, and now the Nicholas Young guest casting -- this is the kind of respectful treatment a successful, groundbreaking series deserves if it is going to be rebooted.

Berlanti and Plec talked about the original series when they were together in college at Northwestern (what a hotbed of talent that school has been over the years -- Agnes Nixon, the Cullitons, Jeff Kwatinetz, Berlanti, and Plec are just the people I know of who went there). They said if they ever got the rights ... And now this is their dream come true. Berlanti pursued the rights for 8 years! He has the approval of original show creator and writer Roger Price (who also created "You Can't Do That on Television" -- fun fact, what an unheralded visionary), who has watched the pilot of the new series and likes it.

I feel Berlanti is in many ways an American Russell T Davies -- writes well for character, emotion, family, relationships; wanted to make this show he grew up watching all his life; the consummate powerbroker insider who also has a deep understanding of being an outsider due to being gay; started out doing relationship or teen shows (Dawson's Creek/Everwood), branched out to political stuff (Jack and Bobby, Political Animals), and now doing a lot of sci-fi genre stuff. A track record of hits and misses, but more hits than misses. A respected name in the industry.

This show is going to be great! This concept appeals to me so much (the metaphor of breaking out to adolescence, as well as the non-killing, the sense of hope for the future). I am getting excited to check out the 70s series sometime soon too. Special effects have never been an issue for me so I don't think they would bother me.

I can't wait until the October 9th premiere.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Liking it a lot after two episodes! I knew executive producer Greg Berlanti, creator of the wonderfully layered family drama "Everwood" when he was still fresh-faced and new, and who comes from a writing background, would eventually not let me down in terms of focusing enough on character, not action. The first episode being too action-heavy was just an aberration. Love Stephen's interaction with his family and the dynamics among the team the most. The second episode also had more (needed) humor and a sunnier tone, even though the show didn't shy away from depicting the darkness of Ultra like Vaughn being murdered and a SWAT team being sent after Kurt. Stephen called it "genocide" and to stop with the war analogies to Jedikiah, and he was right. I'm glad we saw more of Luca and Stephen's mom; I continue to find the family interaction very believable. Stephen forgetting about his friend-date with Astrid was also a nice touch.

Unlike some other people I've seen online who don't like icky relationships in science fiction, LOL, I don't have any objection to John and Cara's romance and I'm caught up in it. I think it is realistic that cooped up as they are, there would be romantic attachments. I don't want a triangle though, although I understand if John is jealous. I liked John saying he trusts Stephen. I liked the "Stephen, we're not superheroes" line as it showed John's realistic philosophy about what they're doing, and also because hopefully it will let people know this is not a "superhero show." Stephen was also right they needed to stand up for people too, and I'm glad John came around. I liked all the stuff with the watch and all the stuff with Stephen's dad, including the flashback of his leaving Stephen's mom. I am scared for Stephen and the rest of the TP; I don't see how he will fool the "bionic telepath" (LOL) next time!

Overall, 8/10 for this very solid series so far.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This series is boring me. It's too much like Vampire Diaries between the lead up to the inevitable love triangle and the characterization is weak at best. Acting is nothing to write home about. It's not horrific but it's not great either. I've read a lot of complaints about how this show is pretty undiverse compared to the original and the original reboot. And the victimization with every one of The Tomorrow People having a sob story is lazy already. The no kill thing is pretty silly since by nature humans are predatory. The Stephen as a double agent plot is nonsensical as well.

• Members

It's really not living up to its potential. I'm surprised Berlanti is even in charge--the pilot and follow up were ok-ish, but...

Jfung, I'm not sure I'd say that Berlanti was freshfaced and new when he did Evrwood. lol He had written and directed a successful indie comedy, was a showrunner on Dawson's Creek, created its never pickedup spin off, etc. etc.

Archived