TLC Biopic

Eric83

• Members

That type of thing happens about 90 percent of the time in the record business. It's unfortunate, and something that I feel should be illegal. I don't think it should be legal for a record company to own the trademark on the names of the groups signed to it's label, because to me, it's a conflict of intrest, and the group cannot fairly negotiate for a contract, because the record company can always say "I own you name, so take what I offer you, or leave, but I still own your name".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never considered her a big deal. and the time that Pebbles was big, I was still listening to contemporary music. She had some pretty massive play on MTV at the time, but I only remember three songs by her, "Mercedes Boy" "Giving You The Benefit", and "Girlfriends". For a while, you couldn't turn on MTV without tripping over her songs. But while songs were catchy, her voice seemed very electronically augmented and kind of whiny and nasal.

• Members

I never knew Left Eye's Block Party had a video. Dang she loved the space theme, even though it has nothing to do with the song. Never listened to this when it came out but Im loving it and the rest of her Supernova album. Damn them for not releasing it in the US! I think Eric said its bc it flopped in Japan. Thats two different markets! I think had they done a better job at marketing it over here and actually backed her up, it could have had success. It always felt as if the label wasnt trying to see her be a success outside of TLC bc they wanted her to stick to the group bc thats where the money was at. Supernova was just throwing crumbs at her and getting her to fall in line

tumblr_mvd61gfwxI1sq9te3o1_250.gif

Diva walk

tumblr_mvkf4fvjgg1spir2vo1_500.gif

Everyone knew those lyrics

Back to Pebbles, did you read her statement? The full letter is here; http://perriareid.com/note/statement.html

Girl, sit down

• Members

Alpha, those Pebbles songs you mentioned sure did get a lot of radio play. I only listened to music in the car to and from school and I recall hearing Pebbles an awful lot. Actually, I first thought "Mercedes" was Janet Jackson singing. I now wonder if that wasn't really a coincidence.

I can't post YouTube links right now, but there's an infamous clip of Pebbles on CeCe Winans' TBN show where they pray for Nippy.

• Members

Pebbles' success was middling, she had those few chart hits, but was never that huge of a seller. Management was probably more lucrative for her than recording. I don't think the movie misrepresented the situation, in the Behind the Music that Pebbles participated in, it was made clear that she had a contract that assured her a cut of the group's earnings and that's what the movie showed.

• Members

H2VhGWN.jpg

Pebbles was on Wendy and she says that the movie was a lie. Claims that she never kicked Chilli out of the group, T-Boz and Left Eye did. She says she believes Chilli was sleeping with her husband, LA Reid and that T-Boz and Left Eye were covering for her

• Members

Finally saw it yesterday, and it was better than I thought it would be.

Lil Mama did a really good job capturing the essence of Left Eye. Drew Sidora did much better than I thought she might. Not sure how much I care about how well she played T Boz because I never felt she had much of a personality anyhow. The biggest disappointment was the "actress" who has tons more experience than the other two, and that would be Kaka Palmer, who obviously attended the Vivica Fox School of Acting and clearly excelled. Lesson 1 - 100: how to play yourself in every role and get a decent paycheck! Honestly, I'm so tired of this girl!

I was cracking up when the girls were doing cartwheels because Pebbles gave them Rav4s. LMAO! Not judging because that is what I drive, but they thought those were fancy cars and this is why they worked so hard? lol!

Rochelle Ayts did a really good job as Pebbles. She had me cracking up.

I found that the girls were stupid when it was convenient. They were dumb and naive so that they could blame Pebbles and get sympathy but were smart enough to want to see the contracts, after the fact. The one thing that really stood out is when they went to the lawyer and Chili asked the guy was he their lawyer as well as Pebbles. They weren't so stupid and naive to see that it was CLEARLY a conflict of interest!

Archived