OLTL - Monday, April 29th 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to say both shows did a great job of making me believe these are actual towns again. Does that make sense? I think the quick location shots help establish that it's an 'actual' place which leads to some much needed realism.

The opening was ... not good. I'd be fine with a title card. They can play the full theme over the end credits. It's not a bad theme but the opening was just lacking something.

They did a better job with the club scene than ABC would have so I'll give them props on it, felt fairly realistic. Loved Blair getting shot down. I like she has her edge back.

Tea ignoring Dani and that whole nursery scene was well played.

Bo and Nora are <3 ... I love Bo thinking the oxy's were Matthew's (when he, I guess took them, from Dani?). Very normal.

They did throw around the sh-i-t word but, it fit and does make them come off as people and not just characters.

Loved the sweet scene when Clint asked Bo to be his best man.

So great to see Dorian back. Her set looks great re-dressed and a bit re-designed.

Llanfair looks excellent as well.

I could also get down for a Rama/Cutter/Natalie triangle. I liked the 'attitude' of Natalie we got.

Oh ... LOVE that Nigel is back!

• Members

Oh, that looks okay to me! It's cute. It's already better than the last several GL openings and a couple ATWT ones to boot. And I already prefer it to the [!@#$%^&*] extraordinary rendition Work Camp Brian Frons opening I've been watching for the last nine [!@#$%^&*] years.

I like the song a lot - better than the sequence, but the only part that really is a little off to me is the "Electric Company" interpretive dance with the hands for the kids.

• Members

Thank you, Vee. I agree with your comments. I like the Bo/Nora wedding dance, the slow dancing with the adults, the more fun dancing with the kids and how Todd and Blair are doing a sort of stare down. And like I said, Rama being a whore up in the middle of two couples. :lol:

• Members

About the swearing, I honestly never noticed it, so I guess that means I felt it was used naturally. Also I completely missed this Dani walking in on a BJ scene that was capped. What? When was that?

In terms of comparing AMC and OLTL, I liked AMC's episode more, but it's an unfair comparison since I know AMC better and this was my first OLTL ever. OLTL felt soapy enough and family/community enough for me, especially in non-Shelter scenes. I can see some older viewers perhaps getting sick of constant blaring hip music at Shelter if it's a big part of every episode, although I didn't mind it.

• Members

I think people just dogpile on things on impulse when they hear about it. I was iffy on this, but it looks a lot better than some of the anti-hype.

The kids doing the Up With People circle, though, that's gotta go.

Not in a million years.

• Members

Thanks, AllMyDaysatGH.

I like the dancing in the opening fine, and definitely don't think the opening is worse than Conboy-era G U I D I N G L I G H T. I like seeing Rama more than once too -- didn't notice that until it was pointed out here. The music is still not memorable to me but it'll probably grow on me.

• Members

Bullet point thoughts...

*Not really bothered by the opening though the plain black backdrop made it feel like it was thrown together on the fly. I do like that, for the most part, the dancing was in character--the goofiness of Bo/Nora, Dorian throwing in some attitude in her moves, the tension with Todd/Blair. I like the song though it's no Peabo. (nice touch with using that theme as score for the opening scene though)

*Watching this episode was like how I felt when I'd come back to the show after extended periods of not watching during the ABC run--really felt like I was picking something up midstream, but in a good way, and rather appropriate given that it had more dangling plot lines from its finale (not to mention from GH) than AMC. Definitely no obvious reset going on as there was on AMC; dove right in with the standard stream of incidental exposition in the dialogue.

*Surprised how well Corbin Bleu fit right in with everyone so seamlessly.

*The BJ scene didn't feel gratuitous in context, nor did all the profanity, and it made sense coming from the younger set.

*I really hope Dorian loses the wig soon since Robin Strasser had her natural hair in the opening.

*I'm just waiting for Viki's first "AT TALL!" of the Internet era.

*Laura Harrier is obviously inexperienced and hasn't found her groove yet, but damn is she smokin'.

*Nat/Cutter? I'm down, especially if Rama will be up in that mix.

*Nice work from Kelley Missal as drunk druggie Dani.

I'm finding that I don't really have much to say since, as I said, it really felt like a direct continuation, and the show was going on without us watching during the last year...

Archived