Your LEAST Favorite Opening Sequences

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is sort of the British version of the Gottlieb-era OLTL opening. I was always a big fan of Emmerdale's sweeping orchestral theme, with those aerial visuals of the countryside. (I didn't even mind the ass in spandex.) But a couple of years ago, they changed the traditional opening into what looks like a car commercial and re-arranged the theme so that it sounds disjointed and replaced the strings with synths.

AWFUL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i27rBc4tTgk

The previous version, for comparison's sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92R3FmHAu5I

• Members

That Emmerdale theme makes me angry. I try to block it out. The theme is generic and the titles look, alternately, like a car commercial, and a small child holding a camera, running through various cheap sets at breakneck speed.

The new Corrie theme is also generic and manages to be very dated even though it came out in 2010. It also seems to have been filmed through gauze.

• Members

Totally agree. The producers thought they were being really innovative, but both the new Emmerdale and Corrie opening sequences are offensively cheap and dated-looking. And let's not even get started on those over-the-top Hollyoaks abominations of the past decade.

Gotta give EastEnders credit for sticking with that simple aerial spin over the Thames, with a few enhancements and tweaks.

• Members

I know I'm in the minority but I thought OLTL's 1992 - 1995 theme was great, especially the music by Lee Holdridge. The opening sequence itself conveyed the concept of living one's life, IMO, the mr. wrong and mr. right. The sequence that followed it, 1995-2004 was fine but I would have preferred it to be longer and not alternating. My least favorite was the show's final, totally horrible.

Guiding Light's original Hold On To Love is hands down one of the best soap opera openings, ever. Wayne Fitzgerald really nailed it with that. Everything that followed once Rauch abbreviated it was terrible!

I loved Glinda's Theme for ATWT 1993 - 1999 opening. Its a shame that Goutman did away with it, it should have been the show's final theme. All that followed from 1999 on was garbage.

AMC's theme from 1995 - 2002 and 2004 to its finale was just not AMC. The original was timeless and beautiful as others have already said. Falling pictures was great for its time and the golden scrapbook was very elegant, just wished it wasn't alternating.

B&B - every theme since 2004 is horrible. The elegance of the original opening was never recaptured.

GH - every theme since 2004.

I never liked Y&R's 1999 opening and I can never understand why that show could not do a full opening. I hate its 6 character alternating themes. It makes the show look so basic. I've always disliked that about Y&R.

• Members

I love D.C., it's my home, but I thought the original Capitol opening credits shots were amateurish and the theme was clinical, more fitting for GH or The Judge. In Italy, Capitol aired in primetime and they got a swingin' disco-tinged theme that I much prefer. Actually, the Italian theme reminds me of the "real" D.C., not the sterile Capitol Hill "idea" of D.C.

Original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LdS6hzSaQA

Italian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULUHYpohuI&feature=share&list=UUF_zogrnLJ5o0jENcbY6N_w

• Members

I really like the later/final opening. I think it hits the right notes. It's more polished looking, sleek and sophisticated, and the theme is much stronger, grander, and more appropriate. It's one of those openings where the lack of cast pictures doesn't detract from it. I don't know if in Italy they added cast names to it as they did to the prior one, or if they even used that opening for that matter. A question for Claudio.

While I don't *dislike* it, I feel that the opening theme for Paper Dolls (the music, not the par for the course visuals) are perhaps the weakest of the '80s primetime sudsers (along with Berrenger's?). It just doesn't have a strong, identifiable melody like its contemporaries. Honestly, the opening credits look and sound very much like that of an '80s TV movie, which is of course how it got its start (I've never seen the Joan Collins as Racine original). The first episode of the series uses a cheesy-sexy cover of "Billie Jean" which is actually a stronger choice.

Archived