Unpopular Opinions Thread: 2013 Edition

• Members

I agree that they should know who's on the cast but they are not required to watch the show and shouldn't be judged if they choose not to. I know that as an actor I HATE watching myself and it does not do me any good. I pick apart everything I see, even the good things that the director may like. Often times self-critique can be detrimental and hearing it from a director is MUCH more effective. They have an unbiased view of your performance, you do not have one of yourself.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If an actor watches themself to the point they start analyzing their own work and being self conscious about it, eventually they will no longer be acting but instead using their mind to imitate acting. Theater actors spent hundreds of years never being able to view their own work, and they got along just fine. And also, they may think they played a scene badly where the audience does not, and what happens if the audience thinks they played a scene badly and they thought they did great? It's better to not get caught up in that, let the work stand on its own and if they are not right for the part that is for the producer and director to solve.

• Members

I knew they filmed out of sequence these days, but I was shocked to learn that an actor may shoot scenes from shows up to six weeks or so apart in the same day. I'm not surprised actors are tight-lipped with storylines these days -- it would be virtually impossible to keep things straight in your mind, and better that you clam up than reveal something you shouldn't because you think the audience is farther along than it really is.

• Members

Given that soap actors get little rehearsal and rarely get more than one take, I'm not surprised a lot of them don't watch their performances. If they got a chance to do more than one take then I could see them watching to see which one made it to air but otherwise I don't see any extraordinary value in watching. It would be very easy for an actor to become self-obsessed and we've seen plenty of cases of actors who think they are the center of every scene. Also, I think boundaries between work and life are healthy and important so if an actor wants to leave work at work and watch Animal Planet instead of their own show more power to them. To me their professionalism is determined by how they do their job when they are at their job.

• Members

Right. I know Erika Slezak is pretty open about not watching and leaving her work at work (I assume this doesn't include memorizing lines.) Of course she's one of the better actors on soaps, and with lee and less rehearsal time and more and more young actors hired due to their looks with almost zero experience, this isn't the best situation for everyone, but.

On the other hand if a writer said he never watched his show or specially an EP I would wonder more about that--but for most of the cast and crew once they've done a days work they simply have to move on.watching stuff you taped a month (or more) back is not really gonna benefit you.

• Members

They may not know when all their scenes are going to air but they do usually know when the big stuff is going to air. Not as frequent now(because up EPs cracking down on spoilers) but up to 2 years ago multiple soap stars were spoiling dates on twitter all the time. I'm pretty sure there's a general idea of when certain scenes will air. Not everything is filmed out of order.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

GH:

~I'm actually starting to pity Sabrina knowing that her wedding won't happen and her life will suck.

~I want Lucas no where near Felix / Brad.

~Duke's and Kevin's return has been pointless.

~Sometimes, Sam can be a pathetic bitch and other times she can be awesome.

~Niz are a horrible couple.

~LuSam are 10x better then JaSam.

~I wish they didn't kill BJ and Maxie (even though I love her) would of died.

~Carly and Bobbie will never be close.

~I seriously don't get the hype of Luke and Laura. Idk if it's because I wasn't watching live, but I've seen it and I just don't get it. I like them, but really there are a lot better written supercouples.

~I would die for a Lucy/Scott/Laura/Luke/Anna/Robert/Tracy love storyline.

OLTL:

~I think RC wrote way better for OLTL then GH.

~Gigi/Rex are an absolute HORRIBLE couple.

~RC handled the bullying storyline too unrealistically. You could tell he isn't around kids.

~I loved OLTL 2.0

AMC:

~Erica Kane is a [!@#$%^&*] bitch.

~I love Kendall, Greenlee, and Bianca for life.

~I loved Greenlee / Ryan and hated Kendall / Zach.

~The baby switch was confusing and ruined relationships for no reason.

PC:

~I love Scott and Lucy.

~Caleb/Livvie were overrated.

~I love Allison.

DAYS:

~I actually like Gabi.

~I don't mind Rafe.

~Somedays I like EJami and other days I hate them.

~I miss the late 90s / early 00s, in between the Riley terms.

~Marlena's pregnancy storyline in 2005 was AWESOME and I really wish the baby would of lived. It was soapy goodness.

~Jennifer is more annoying then Daniel.

~I think Kristen's 2nd run was amazing.

~I'm glad Susan Banks never returned.

~Can Stefano die once and for all?

~Wilson are overrated.

~I'm upset John is returning.

~I like Marlena/Roman.

~Marlena and John haven't been a supercouple since 2008.

PASSIONS:

~Theresa is a pathetic slutty nuts bitch who deserved to be eaten by sharks. She was getting better, just a little, by the end of the series.

~Alistair was the best cartoon villain on soaps EVER.

~Liza Huber is a great actress.

Y&R:

~I'm a Shick fan, but I love Phyllis and probably always will.

~I wish Ashley's baby from 2009 lived instead of the Shick baby.

~Nikki being Dylan's mom is stupid and I don't get why people are so excited over it.

~Nikki and Victoria can be annoying as hell.

~I love the Abbotts.

B&B:

~Taylor / Ridge are endgame always.

~Brooke is nothing special.. just a typical slut on a soap who should of died years ago.

~Taylor should of stayed dead in 2002.

~Rick/Phoebe/Taylor were disgusting and gross.

~The Ridge/Rick rivalry was dumb.

~The Logans should stay a minor family.

~I'm fine with Bill being the leading man honestly.

Archived