Black Character Portrayals in Soaps Today

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously it's embarassing that Tatiana Ali who makes about 10 appearences a year keeps winning.

One thing that cracks me up suddenly pretending the soaps are diverse when Hispanic Heritage and Black History month come along.

I remember the one year there was complaints of lack of latinos on GH so they decided to keep reminding us that Maurice and Natalia are latino. It was like nevermind the fact that her character is whiter than white, Natalia is half Mexican.

• Members

Yeah but then again, I really don't like questioning any actor's heritage. Obviously a character's heritage is up for grabs. If somebody identifies as Latino then IMO that's what they are regardless of skin tone. I did an ancestral DNA test earlier this year and found out I had oodles of Latino relatives and although I wouldn't identify as Latino, I can completely understand why somebody else would.

I'm just really uncomfortable questioning an ACTOR's heritage. IMO, the real problem is casting by skin tone. I love Florencia Lozano and I agree with the above statement that the only reason Tea was so authentically Latina was because of the actress' determination to portray her as such. If it had been left up to TPTB, Tea would be as culturally white as half-Asian Blair.

• Members

Yeah, that's way too true and not just GH.

Subject change: whatever happened with Dayzee and Marcus on B&B. I was so shocked to see them get a promo for their wedding but I haven't seen anything since. Although I understand if the show is focusing on setting up Ridge and Stephanie's exits.

Archived