Was MAB the worst casting director in soap history?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If Cartini were writing this Y&R, the stories and casting we've been watching under MAB, it would be praised as soapy goodness. I mean really what's the difference between Kevin dressing up as a chipmunk(horrible) vs talking dogs or Ford dressed up like a hot dog(fun and campy).

• Members

Don't you know? Only Cartooni are allowed to stunt cast, do pointless location shoots, campy plot points, etc. Everyone else is the devil for doing such things.

I wanna know why some people are acting like Jill and Josh destroyed the Abbotts because they are sad about BM leaving. He was offscreen for half the year and was more in Newman stories than Abbott stories anyway.

• Members

Billy Miller is the catalyst, a guy who's stayed with Y&R for simply a paycheck for 2 years bringing nothing. I'd rather have an unknown actor who puts forth some effort who wants to be there versus the grinner. I have to scratch my head with anyone thinking letting Genie Francis go is some horrible mantra of things to come. And even if Jill never comes back, I can appreciate JFP actually picked up the phone and called her even if it was an act. I hope she comes back when they kill off Billy in a drunk driving accident where he kills 10 other people.

• Members

This.

I must comment on Marcy Rylan. She is one of the worst actors I've seen. She doesn't even act. Doesn't change her delivery, doesn't get into character at all... she turned Lizzie Spaulding from a spoiled rich girl who was maturing and becoming less dependant into an obnoxious valley girl with the maturity of a 13 year old. Her mannerisms and way of speaking on Y&R are exactly as they were on GL.

• Members

No! He was Big Moose, and who in the sam hell would go from Shemar Moore to that?! The worst visual recast ever!

Absolutely! Cartoonie write schlock day in and out, but they are somehow exempt from criticism!

Um, no! Do we really want him to fake his death only to come back 2 years later (the show does not have 20 years) as a tranny and tell us the story of how he could not face his family because he wanted to be a girl? Nah!

• Members

Yep!

MW is the best actor of the 3, but many believe that just because you are great in a certain role, you are going to be great in every role. There was nothing MW or the writers could have done to make Diane viable with MW in the role. Nothing! She should have come in as a new character. Sarah Brown is another. She has flopped since playing Carly on GH.

Too bad Alex D was not brought back or would not return (don't know the story). Hell, even Susan Walters was good as Diane, but MW? Absolutely not!

• Members

I actually think Timothy Gibbs is a dynamite actor and Kale Browne is underrated. And a smart EP would have been THRILLED to have an actress of Maura's caliber "forced" on them. MAB? She decides to sabotage her through horrible writing.

I don't think that CBS forced the character on Maura or MAB. I think Maura was forced on them and that's what they came up with. On paper, it sounded like it would be interesting at the very least.

• Members

Same. However, what gets me is not the fact that MAB had to take Maura West (and honestly, Babs Bloom could have done a lot worse for her -- Terri Conn, anyone?) but rather that MAB deliberately sabotaged MW and Diane just to prove a stupid point. Yeah, okay, you're big, bad Maria, and your late father-in-law built this [!@#$%^&*] show from the ground up and still looks over your shoulder as you "write" (or so you say). We get it. But look at what we, the viewers, lost in the long run: we lost a good actress (who, yes, was miscast for her particular role) as well as one of the best characters this show ever had. And all for the sake of your ego. It's pathetic, and it's childish.

Archived