Y&R: Yet ANOTHER former sitcom star joins

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It shouldn't be. No one is going to start watching Y&R because EW pimps them for a half a second. The primetime shows you mention actually give some type of important scene to actors they stunt cast. They don't cast Jimmie Walker as an extra in the corner.

• Members

I thought Lembeck was cute too (with a beard).

I'll always remember Gaines as the actor in Fame who ended up being stuck as a waiter.

I always hated the whole idea of randomly putting "and starring", which makes it look like this person is important, that one is a lump, this one is important. Why not just group the "and starring" together?

That show seemed so cheap-looking by the end. I think Good Times had better sets than Barbara's house.

• Members

I've actually talked to web series producers about this type of casting to perhaps draw attention to a show full of unknowns, shot with no budget and little chance at getting any press. I'm just baffled at the strategy of an established show and the #1 rated daytime soap doing this. It's obviously not just random casting at this point with so many examples.

On the flip side, Eric Braeden wasn't intended to be the star of the show someday. He was just that guy from Rat Patrol. By the time many daytime legends hit their soaps they were former movie stars whose careers had fallen on hard times (along with the many great young talents discovered by soaps). It's always been a mix. It just seems like a non-factor with Y&R. No one is going to care, half the fans won't even notice, it does nothing for the ratings. I think it's just a way for someone to pat themselves on the back for some (unknown to us) reason.

• Members

After Dennis Haskins I suspected that the Datalounge forum had taken control of the Y&R casting department. Now I know for sure.

Next I'd like Christine McGlade or Alisdair Gillis from You Can't Do That On Television.

• Administrator

I don't agree with that. It's not like these actors are getting huge roles in primetime or film. If a show wants to cast them in small roles, I say go for it. MAB does a lot of wrongs things but casting "notable" actors in small roles is not one of them.

• Members

I think it's wrong because it just reminds people of how fake everything is. They aren't seeing characters get married, or buried, or on trial - they're seeing an actor from a long ago show popping up. That's all you will focus on in the scene. If they cast this actor in a role that lasted longer and let people see their talent, then it might work, but it's just a cheap shot for no real purpose. The only "name" they cast in a larger role in recent years was Daisy Duke, and that was apparently out of pity.

Archived