B&B: TV Guide Interview with Joanna Johnson (Karen; ex-Caroline)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well... what a fab lady. I was a fan of her as Caroline when she first started on B&B -- now I'm just as big a fan of Joanna Johnson the person.

I'm not gay but that interview really brought home how difficult it still is to come out to people around you -- and most of all to admit it to yourself. Sometimes I wonder how my very traditional parents would react if I were gay -- and I'm not sure if it wouldn't be similar to JJ's own parents.

I also found her talking about having a crush on Ronn Moss back in the day sweet and totally believeable no matter what her sexual orientation was/is. A crush is a crush!

All in all, a very impressive, honest interview.

• Members

Love. Her. Always have! Her recent returns as Karen have been fabulous and I look forward to seeing where this goes. I wish we could really focus on Karen and Bill's relationship. That's key to his character. Katie, Karen and Steffy. I don't need this meddling parent stuff. Also can't wait to see how Crystal Chappell works out. She gives her all no matter what it is and I highly doubt this will be as bad as some of the stuff she got on OLTL or GL.

• Members

I definitely got the vibe from her, not from her early work, but her more recent appearances. Good for her and I'm glad she feels confident now. One of my close friends is coming out to her family TODAY and she recently turned 30. People take their own time to come to terms with it themselves and to confide in their family.

• Members

Great interview. If not for Joanna Johnson I probably wouldn't be watching B&B - Caroline was what first drew me into the show and I'll always consider her the best heroine the show ever had, mostly because she just played the romantic, complicated heroine with such a plain honesty. It's even more of a credit to know that she was in turmoil in her own life and yet always made Caroline seem true.

I remember in the early 90's she talked to the soap magazines about her depression. Reading this now I can't imagine all she was going through. I'm glad she has such a happy life. I'm also happy that B&B continues to remember her value to the show.

I knew it. I knew it. I think that she will be in Bill's bed in no time. That's one of the reasons I never knew why we were supposed to be so in awe for B&B having a lesbian couple - that's not what the story is likely to be about. I think this is kind of bad timing coming on the heels of Bill's very disturbing behavior toward Hope and Steffi, but at least he will have something else to do.

• Members

Wow, I totally respect her a lot after this interview!, I actually had no idea that she was gay. She is one of the most beautiful soap actresses, and she is right by saying that gay men and women will try to date the opposite sex, before they realize that they are only attracted to the same gender. I love how supportive the cast was to her.

I still wonder about Susan though...I'm sorry but i think after this it will only be a matter of time before she decides to wants to come out as well. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, it's just the facts i've heard over the years hint her as being gay as well.

• Members

In fact, there were the rumous that Susan and Joanna were an item for a while...

I've always wondered why they cast Joanna and KKL when both actresses looked so much alike...

In many countries, Caroline was the most popular character on the show and the show was even named after her in some places.

• Members

I never felt like they looked that much alike - I thought Kristen looked more like Brooke.

I don't think Susan will ever publicly come out. A lot of people just don't. She has no real need to and she seems happy.

• Members

You know, I was not thrilled when this story was announced because it just seemed to be written as B&B being PC since they'd never done a gay story, based in LA, fashion, etc. However, NOW that I know it was written specifically for a lesbian actress (especially one who has such a rich history with the show), I'm kind of excited. I also like the idea that they may have Dani be bi and not perfect. Joanna always seemed like a lovely woman. After reading this article, it only reaffirms it. Welcome back to the show! Oh, I so can't wait for Dollar Bill's reaction. :)

Archived