Y&R: Former sitcom star does guest spot

• Members

Hiring failed primetime stars is a cheap way to get a mention at EW, regardless of whether the actor can do it (like Eric Roberts on Y&R, who spent his entire time reading cue cards very badly). Hiring soap actors in small roles I just see as a nice way to keep the industry going, and you will usually get people who are used to the pace and can give a good performance in a small role.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's in large roles though. I'm talking more about the one or two day appearances which don't need some random actor who was a primetime name in 1993 or 1979. Y&R always stunt casts those and it just gets so tiresome.

• Members

I guess I don't see how casting soap actors, many of them not really superstars in the genre, is stunt casting. B&B casting an actress who played Hope Bauer 30 years ago to play a nurse for a day isn't going to get headlines - it's just a nice little nod to a soap actress who can play the part. They also cast plenty of unknown actors in these roles. It's just that Y&R seems to only want to cast publicity stunt names for these roles.

• Members

Yeah I think the point is is that Y&R only does this to generate some mainstream if you want to call it that publicity. But then I think they also cast a lot of soap names for PR also and to sway soap viewers particularly when they miscast folks like Genie Francis and Eden Reigel.

• Members

I have no problem with Y&R hiring several of the out of work mature (read older) soap and non-soap actresses in Hollywood even if it is a stunt. For the most part, these women are the victim of ageism and in some cases, racism. I love the idea of Diahann Carroll doing a brief stint on Y&R. I hope the other soaps start doing something similar because actresses like Phylicia Rashad should always have tv work.

Archived