• Members

I don't think it is stupid to boycott at all. Viewers have very few ways to make their voices heard and just the same way people say ABC doesn't care, neither should the boycotters. And it is the boycotters who theoretically represent the viewers that is wanted by the networks, and not the other way around. If the actors are hurt so be it, there are actors on other networks who presumably are getting viewers. The Revolution is a great example. We don't know if their abysmal ratings are in any way due to people boycotting, but if so then it is a boycott well done. The same way the networks say screw the viewers, so should the viewers say screw the networks. No one owes even a minute of allegiance or sympathy to these networks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If people want to boycott that's their choice but where's the positive. For all the cries about how they got ABCs primetime ratings down and got the Revolution cancelled, where are the rallies to get people to watch the soaps that are left. If their movement is such a success why is GH ratings wise still circling the drain, why has Days plummeted, why is Y&R still sinking.seems like this so called boycott has also hurt the remaining soaps. For a group that's intent on saving them, that's not a positive.

• Members

Any attempt to discuss the quality of the shows gets you labeled as a "bad" or a disgruntled soap fan or someone who doesn't appreciate the great art of "soapiness." Whatever. If these people want to boycott ABC, have at it. I'm enjoying the hell out of Scandal.

• Members

I'm so grateful that we have Marceline (and others) to set the record straight.

Also, what is it about the ABC soaps that brings out the crazies? (Please don't say ABC deserves this wrath because they cancelled their highest-rated soap. As we know, GH was the highest ratest soap for the overwhelming majority of the four years prior to the cancellation announcement being made.) I mean, NBC and CBS have also cancelled long-running soaps (with justification) before, but those networks weren't demonized anywhere near the extent that ABC was. To listen to some people, ABC is the most heartless company that ever existed. If anything, ABC did more for its soap fans (with Super Soap weekends at Disney World, launching Soap Net, etc.) than the other networks did.

• Members

I think ABC/Frons banked a little too heavily in the belief that an angry soap fan is an engaged soap fan. ABC fans (and I speak as someone who was one) are constantly at war: with each other, with TPTB, with certain actors, etc... so when the shows got canceled all those various factions finally found one thing they could agree on. Just my theory.

But really when you pull back out of the soapverse, the soap warriors aren't that much crazier than other fandoms that feel they were wronged. Just mention the word "Fox" to a Firefly fan and see what happens. LOL! And I remember how insanely livid Moonlight fans were at CBS when that show was canceled. The intensity of feeling is the same. I think what makes soap fans seem...ahem...different is that 1.) they're fighting for something that was around for decades so it looks petulant and 2.) the anger at the network doesn't translate into anything positive for anything else. Firefly fans may hate Fox but they love the hell out of Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Joss Whedon, etc... and will support them to the ends of the earth. These fans protesting the upfronts only want their shows back and nothing else will do. Again, just my theory.

• Members

Yes, and that's stupid. I miss the hell out of AMC. I wish there was some way for ABC to bring it back, but I also accept that at this point, it's not going to happen. So I opt to enjoy and support the projects that my favorite actors are now doing, regardless of the network on which those shows appear.

• Members

If ABC had not chosen to ignore fans all along, none of this would be happening. They've known for years that their writing sucked and that Brian Frons needed to be fired and they chose not to do anything about it. It's uncanny that ABC always manages to make the very worst choices.

Their chickens are coming home to roost. I sure don't feel sorry for them.

Archived