December 26-30, 2011

Toups

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I certainly don't want to see another soap canceled especially not GH. The ratings for the show, however, are terrible. I am so happy for B&B and DAYS and hope they can maintain these types of numbers. And its just all kinds of wrong that AMC & OLTL are canceled and will no longer be on television.

• Members

AS bad as GH is its demos are stll the same or not much lower than the others which is where they always used to still be acceptable. Not that there is much difference between the bottom 4 shows but its sad. I still don't believe anyone at ABC intentionally killed anything but what the heck has JFP been producing the last 7 months without Guza. Her instincts are crap and no one cares who she saved or brough back for short stints they were meaningless.I dont care how good a technical producer she is her vision along with Guza's suck.

• Members

These upswings in the ratings during a Holiday week prove that these soaps are clearly in the wrong timeslots. It's really time for soaps to move to evening hours where they can get a much larger audience. Daytime has become to small of a platform for these soaps as these extra viewers prove that these soaps still have sustainable audiences if they were in better timeslots.

• Members

Sadly, what I can extract from these ratings is there are still some ex-viewers who will check the show out when they are home and the show is on but they have very little interest to became a regular viewers again. And worse, nobody from the desired demos cares about the soaps and would rather watch anything else. They just don´t consider soaps as one of the viewing choices and I doubt a different timeslot could change it. The only chance for soaps is to start agan and go through a complet overhaul, both production and promotion wise, so it´s no longer tainted. I think it will eventually happen, but not before all the current soaps die first.

• Members

They do air during primetime on soapnet now. I think the issue is still an aging audience. Remember CBS has cancelled shows that still draw 10 million viewers because the demos were low(Cold Case comes mind). ANd there are already soaps in primetime I am not sure why people forget that. Revenge, Desperate Housewives are exactly that. ParentHood is another. I think a better comparison are Novellas that air during the dinner hour that seem to do well with their limited audience but the they are mainly made in Mexico so their costs are fairly low. NBC put Leno in 5 days a week at the 10:00PM timeslot and even his demos were better than daytime soaps and that was deemed a disaster. I think the issue with putting the current shows on network primetime is that the production values would look amatuerish compared to PT shows and the stories, writing and pace are just not a fit as they are now. ANd even with the gains look at the 18-49 demos for every show compared to 1 year ago.

• Members

If ABC has decided to cancel GH, then that decision has already been made - privately. If the truth is known, the decision was probably made before Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati were given charge of GH. Their (private) mandate is probably to wrap up the current stories and provide closure for the fans as opposed to being some sort of hail mary brought in to save GH.

I would expect a public decision no later than April 2012 as to whether GH will live past September or not. "Guiding Light", AMC, and OLTL were all canceled in April (while "As the World Turns" was given a bit longer to say goodbye, being canceled in December 2009 and last airing in September 2010).

• Members

Glad to see OLTL up, even with the Rex/Gigi stuff (which honestly wasn't THAT bad, it was good soap even if annoying at times)... I think the following week will have good ratings with the prison breakout leading the final week. I think it has been getting some extra media attention like AMC so here's hoping...

And BWHAHA at GH which has just always been horrible, IMO.

Archived