OLTL: SoapNET Marathon On New Years Day

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Kelli Maroney did good in the episodes I saw. She did good with what they gave her. I'd love to see her doing something more traditionally Tina though. More of the sexy side of the role. The Tina she played seemed more like a different character.

• Members

Keep in mind that Daytime to Remember's episodes were edited. With all three shows they had some episodes split into two parts (since it used the City/Port Charles 30 minute time slot), but many episodes were just shown in half--particularly with OLTL because they had to shove more episodes into just two weeks). Of course the SoapNet marathon episodes are SLIGHTLY edited too, but only a minute or so (ws interestinc omparing some AMC episodes Daytime to Remember aired and then SoapNet aired, because the edits between the two were a bit different with each having brief scenes missing from the other). I believe the Kevin is born 1976 episode is fairly intact though because I think the show was 30 minutes and not yet 45 at the time--that ws a month or two later if I'm right that it went to the odd 45 length. I know they gavce two 30 minute episodes when Daytime to Remember aired the Karen on the stand episode and I believe Megan's death (I find Megan's Death episode very touching but really what fans most remember about that era was that her ddeath lasted a week or so and was an excuse for new HW Malone and Gottlieb to have tons of flashbacks from the past as characters visited Megan and dfistracted her with stories of One Life's past. Up to that point OLTL hadn't had flashback heavy anniversary episodes or anything so Malone and Gottlieb thought it would be a gift to the fans who had stuck with it through the overhaul--I don't think flashback heavy anniversary episodes were common with soaps until AMC's 1990 20th episode).

The 1976 episode is hardly amazing story wise but it feels like a good example of an average day on the soap (despite the major plot point of Kevin's birth), particularly when Gordon Russell was starting to get into his stride as HW--I really enjoy it, and it's great to see the first Dorian. Chris, I'm sure you know about the 1969 episode that's online--that's pretty much the only pre 1976 piece available for easy viewing (despite those colour clips we've seen from Carla's story).

As Carl said ABC wanted to focus on their two big soaps which is why OLTL was left off--also I think the thought was that AMC aired right after the time slot Daytime to Remember would be in, so they could get AMC viewers to watch it, and then move to GH and hopefully those viewers would stick around and then that would lead into the new soap--a GH spin off of course--PC.

One thing about watching these older episodes--and this goes for AMC as well (maybe soaps in general, I don't know). Up until the late 90s anyway it seemed that even when we were stuck with stories or couples that drove most viewers I know crazy, there always seemed to be better balance--you wouldn't have a full week of the same two stories and same 6 characters on every single day--there seemed to be more "A" opr front burner stories happening at once, as well as a better balance of keeping back burner stories going at the same time which was lost more and more over the past decade (Again in respect to both AMC and OLTL with some periods for both being better than others).

Archived