OLTL: Discussion for the week of December 5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Well Carlaviti does know his OLTL history. Too bad some of these inside joke will pass fly over my head since I don't know OLTL history too well. In any case, can't wait to see more of this Fraternity Row stuff. I love soap opera satire/parody and this fits in the "OLTL universe" - you can do stuff like this on this show. Love it.

• Members

I just noticed they had Jack and Shaun say the show was stupid or crap or whatever (which obviously represents how many males/the general TV viewing audiences feel about soaps) but it bothered me that they didn't have any characters say it WASN'T crap. Sure, they all continued to watch it (including Shaun even after he thought the Brianna/Branden twist was stupid) but they didn't say the show itself was something of worth, just that it was addicting no matter how bad it got. That's a different message than I thought it was and almost makes it seem like the producers/writers acknowledge that it's crap.

• Members

I think that kind of fits RC's view of soap - it's generally all camp and ugliness, and I think that's why so many of his stories have missed the mark regarding tone, because what he may have seen as a good laugh (like what Mitch did to Jessica, and her resulting Teen Jess saga) repulsed a lot of viewers.

• Members

To me RC thinks himself more a dramedy writer. He probably thinks OLTL is a lot like Desperate Housewives, I am not saying it is I am just saying I can see RC thinking that.

I am going to enjoy this arc. At least we get to see Roxy. I havent been watching much. THe TOdd, Blair, Tea and company storyline is a total bore now but this and the stuff with Clint and Viki is worth watching/

• Members

Lets be honest though. Alot of us fans sometimes think our shows are crap and we call it out on that when it comes to the stupid plots as well. If someoen were to ask me my opinion of say Y&R or GH now, I would say its garbage and thats coming from someone that used to love and enjoy both. Im sure Fraternity Row had its moments of being dreadful, hence the most likely reason for its cancellation

• Members

I agree with you, but if the idea of the show is that it's supposed to be a good show and they don't want to see it canceled, then basically treating it as trash is kind of strange, especially if Fraternity Row is some meta statement on OLTL's demise, like, "Hey, that sucks too, and the fans know how stupid it is, they can't help themselves." If fans only ever saw soaps as addictive trash then soaps would have gone a long time ago. I think RC's writing just focuses more on somewhat bitter parodies - which is why they used Roxy to take a dig at fans who don't like history rewrites. When they dredged up that Christmas movie every year that wasn't treated as garbage.

• Members

Well Clint was a shipper, so I think he liked something about the show namely that couple. It was too bad they didn't have a reference to them first having sex during a blackout (that would have been very GL meta...and well I would have been shouting at the screen.) I did appreciate the references to Ruby Bright, and the whole youtube watching of old episodes.

Archived