CBS 1979, 1980, 1981 schedule changes

soapfan770

• Members

As we know, CBS shuffled around its schedule there 1979-1982 before getting settled in at least until 1987 with soaps and circa 1993 with game shows and primetime reruns. Anyways here's three ads announcing the schedule changes. Even though officially CBS aired Y&R at 12, judging from a great number of stations most CBS stations on the East Coast ran Y&R at 1PM in favor of the news. Technically Y&R viewers in the Central and Mountain Time Zones who air the the show at 11AM CT/10AM MT see the show before east coast viewers because CBS offers a special 12PM ET feed of the show, while I believe just about all the ET stations pick up the 12:30 feed.

Alas also many CBS stations have simply aired the soaps out of order, as my own CBS affliates KRQE, KMGH when it was CBS, and KUTV up to GL and ATWT cancellations as you can see in the first one:

From April 21st, 1979:

cbs79.jpg

February 2nd 1980:

cbs80.jpg

June 7th 1981:

cbs81.jpg

July 17th 1982(a few months after Capitol premiere:

cbs82.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Who are those 1980 ATWT people? Is that Annie and Dee ad that weird guy who was supposed to be a stud?

The GL ad is actually very chilling - Roger with the two women he's raped and tormented, and the daughter he's traumatized. Not exactly love in the afternoon for CBS.

I didn't realize Lloyd Battista was so popular on LOL that he got that type of advertising.

• Members

Weird how they use the Roger story to promote Guiding Light at it was so dark. And look it still says TGL on all the ads, but one, and it officially changed names years earlier.

Since B&B started (if not earlier), WCBS (NYC flagship) had a 30 min news program at noon. I have no idea if it was longer years earlier, so unfortunately I can be of no help unless if by some crazy fluke I have an earlier listing available somewhere in my files.

Archived