AMC Death of Mary Fickett

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like everyone else, this makes me very sad.

Mary's Ruth looked so much like my grandmother, but they had entirely different personalities. My grandmother was cold and always incredibly judgmental and critical about every little thing and did a hatchet job on my self-esteem any time we were together. MF's Ruth was like my TV grandma, looking just like my real grandma but possessing all the qualities I desperately wished my grandmother did. I just found her on-screen presence so comforting. And as Ray MacDonnell has said, she wasn't acting; that was Mary. I remember being sooooooo happy when, after being off the show for years, it was announced that she was going to reprise Ruth for the Christmas episode in 1998.

I'm curious how they're going to dedicate a show to her since nobody currently works at AMC to do the "In Loving Memory" edit.

• Members

I believe that Lee and Ray are coming back for the finale.

But Mary Fickett will always be Ruth to me. She played such a maternal strong woman. She and Kate Martin to me along with Mona and Phoebe seemed to set the stage for the long legacy of strong women written on this show. Its sad that really only Erica and Angie remain from that mold set so many years ago.

• Members

She'd been sick for so long, but this is still a surprise. Truly sad. Let's not forget that, like a lot of AMC vets, she had a rather illustrious stage career too, Mary was nominated for a Tony for playing Eleanor Roosevelt in the original Broadway cast of "Sunrise at Campobello" and was Deborah Kerr's first replacement in the original Broadway company of "Tea and Sympathy".

Archived