AMC Death of Mary Fickett

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She's been sick for many years, so I am sure it was a blessing, but its still so sad. She left AMC shortly after I really started getting into it. Lee never was able to adequately fill the shoes (although she did her best). Another piece of this show's history is gone sad.png

• Members

Really tugs at your heart, that funeral seems like yesterday.

Carl, I agree, that is a great clip of MF.

My grandpa could not stand Ruth, she like made his teeth itch, I don't know what it was. When the hurricane hit their house and she let out that blood curdling scream, he went, "Oh shhhhit rolleyes.gif ..." laugh.png

• Members

Cady McClain (Dixie, AMC) shared her thoughts on the passing of her one-time Pine Valley mother-in-law, Mary Fickett (ex-Ruth) in an e-mail to Digest. "What can I say?" McClain wrote. "She was wonderful. Feisty, funny, ballsy, brave. I feel so lucky I was able to work with her. She used to give me crap for taking myself so seriously but then she would insist on absolute preparedness and professionalism on set. One of a kind. I have missed her and sadly, will continue to. She gave me something to aim for, and I hope I have made her proud."

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/cady-mcclain-pays-tribute-mary-fickett

• Members

ABC's official statement is surprisingly half-decent:

"We at ABC were very saddened to learn about the passing of one of "All My Children's" original cast members, Mary Fickett, who portrayed beloved nurse Ruth Brent Martin from 1970-1995 and again from 1998-2000. As we honor AMC's 41 years on ABC, we cannot help but recognize and remember Mary's wonderful depiction of Pine Valley's revered Ruth. Ruth's marriage to chief of staff Dr. Joe Martin provided the bedrock upon which the town of Pine Valley was built. Their marriage was always a stabilizing force that represented "home" for many. In memoriam, the network will dedicate the September 21 episode to Mary, which specifically focuses on the Martins. We extend our deepest sympathy and thoughts to Mary's family and longtime fans."

• Members

Who the [!@#$%^&*] wrote that? Surely not Brian Frons. Itr's a nice tribute actually--it sounds like the 21 episode was already set to focus on the Martins before this death, so it's a nice connection. I had also forgotten than she returned to the role, in a limited capacity, until the 30th anniversary in 2000 and then Lee came back.

Archived