August 15-19, 2011

Toups

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

TV in general is changing for both Daytime and Primetime. Very soon, network schedule and time zone will no longer matter because the majority of viewers will build their own primetime/must see tv line up via products like Tivo, DVR and the web. It is happening to some extent now but we are only at the beginning of a media evolution which will transform (deconstruct) both the big four broadcast networks and cable. I imagine viewers going to something like an iTunes store to download shows.

I think Prospect Park may come out a big winner with thier online network provided they due a limited selection of programs sort of like the early years of FOX. Eventually, correct formula for selling adverts will be developed based on hits at which point there will be no purpose for local affiliates of cable companies: CBS, for example, would love to eat all the profit.

I do not believe the soap genre is dead when you look at the amount of online unique hits for Y&R and Days. The numbers are huge, come somewhat close to late 1990s ratings when added to live plus DVR, and this is why OLTL and AMC have a new home. I expect the same will happen for other current soaps as well as new soap-themed programming. There is a huge market out there hungry for 'love in the ''afternoon" and smart networks will tap into this reserve.

Archived