August 15-19, 2011

Toups

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The old its cheap is just a spin and an excuse CBS uses don't be naive to buy into that. That show is actually a disaster, I heard Sharon Osbourne is about to leave them and all of the backstage drama with the changing of the producers and yelling from Julie Chen can't be good for CBS.

Again that show is a disaster and its in last place, at least Let's Make a Deal is doing a solid job in the ratings can't say the same for The Talk.

I think CBS would've been better off going the DAYS route with ATWT and setting up a budget similar to that show but that was more about P&G wanting out of the soap business than it was CBS cancelling it. I read an article a few weeks ago where it explained that networks are actually making a big mistake by not just making their soaps work financially like NBC has done with DAYS. The cheap route is not a viable option for the networks since these shows aren't syndicated. ABC will soon learn that lesson the hard way in the upcoming years. These networks are going to be like Fox with the affiliates programming all of the daytime hours probably in 5 years time.

• Members

Personally, I think the mistake soaps make is cutting production when they want to cut their budget. Using OLTL as an example, there are at least ten characters that are unnecessary to the show. If the networks cut the shows' budgets, they should just try to tell their stories with a cast of approximately 20 characters who are intertwined. Every 12 months, write 3 or so characters off the canvas and introduce a few new characters and stories, but keep the production values in tact. When a scene looks bad, nothing can save it.

I don't think OLTL would be compromised if Dani, Nate, Baz, Cristian, Brody, Aubrey, Joey, Kelly, Cutter, Destiny, Shaun, etc. were not there.

Archived