AMC Tuesday, August 23, 2011

• Members

When she came back in 2010, yes you noticed significant improvements. I think also the fact that the HD transition was happening at the same time also helped in making the show seem fresher (definitely looking fresher anyway). However, I felt not too long into her interim run, the show become stuck in transition, never a good thing. I don't neccesarily fault her, but she did drop the asinine "Miguel" thing, which then all of the sudden spun into Damon being revealed to be Tad's son with Hillary. The show under her felt very, very disjointed. Again, maybe not entirely her fault, but something became extremely off. When she came back in in June, I actually felt the show was at its best in the weeks leading up to her being credited again. Again, I don't blame her entirely, she has been faced with alot of strenuous circumstances, I just don't think it gives her a pass completely.

And I am not surprised she has centred this show around one in David Hayward, she was the one who created him afterall, she needs to remember there is more to this show than him though. I love David, I love Vincent, but I don't need the lasting legacy of this show forever tied to him and his Project Oprheus, which is what she (Broderick) seems to be implying, whether consciously or sub-consciously.

You are making excuses for her :P, but as I said, I wasn't expecting her to work miracles here, but because of her knack for character-driven storytelling, her long history with the show, her way of fleshing out characters through dialogue... I just expected a bit more.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Her work with Jake and Amanda, Angie and Maya, Dixie and JR have been the definite highlights and show glimpses of what I loved and love so much about her style. I suspect the same will happen with Jesse and Angie in the coming days as well.

• Members

I guess to me it felt far less disjointed than it had in a long long time, so I granted her some leeway--I do get what you're saying, although I personally liked the Damon/Tad stuff (EXCEPT that they didn't bring on Hillary, but I'm not sure that was her fault).

And remember she was writing a lot of the transitional material before she was officially credited in June--as well as the fact that (for good and bad) she was the associate writer under K/S the whole year before. But you're right, it doesn't give her a free pass. Still, I think she's worked under these circumstances better than have, or I could picture having, most of the past HWs doing.

I doubt, but could be wrong, it's just because that's her creation--I think it was seen as an easy way to connect the comebacks, etc, for the finale. I actually doubt it would be a major story without the show's cancelation.

What I appreciate about her style is she has added depth to characters. The Janerica stuff became much better under her when she related it to Erica's past history, and used it to explore that, etc, which ahdn't been an issue before. Even with David she did give him some greys and depth with the Angie stuff, and that interaction--even now that we're back to the, yawn, super villain David, the characters do seem more genuinely conflicted about how to feel about him, Tad aside. And frankly that hasn't been the situation with David in AGES where he's just been the demon of Pine Valley, so in that repsect I do find it more interesting. Perhaps none of this is amazing, but for me it has made the show endlessly more interesting to watch, even when I'm shaking my head.

OK I am lol, but I don't think she's perfect and I think the current stuff is far from perfect, even if we do accept (as I know you do) the facts that she has been tasked with tieing up the show in a short amount of time, etc. That said, while not to the extent of you, I did expect a bit more too. And I freely admit part of my attitude is I keep thinking how much worse it could, and very probably woulda been under anyone else.

Yes--it's too bad that the Oprheus stuff SO dominates the show, because frankly, even with some iffy moments, I think the surrounding stories which might as well ALL be called backburner at this point, have been--rushes due to lack of time aside--really quite well done and better than we've seen in a long time. Even, again rushed, stuff like the Janet/AManda stuff was pretty great (now someone do SOMETHING with Marian--it's pretty clear she shouldn't even be locked up anymore as she seems to be back exactly to the old Marian).

• Members

Jake and Amanda are such a strong example of what she does well--again although it was probably played too quickly due to time. The story typically in this day and age would have become a huge Amanda is a slut, lotsa Jake going off on her, drawn out story. Instead, and this was unexpected by me both due to how soaps seem to be written now and due to the lack of interest I've had for Jake/Amanda and any real like for Jake, it was done in a mature, realistic, and even touching way. They both shared the blame, they dealt with the more important issue (Amanda's life), realized WHAT was important to them, etc--the way I think *most* couples in real life who deal with something like that would react, but a way that next to NO couples on soaps, and TV in general, seem to behave.

• Members

sad.png

LOL! Yes! Lol at Angie following that up by saying "And I don't even need to see you to know that." laugh.png

Thought this episode was pretty good overall, lots of great little moments - I loved the stuff at Krystal's house. Angie and Maya were really sweet at the park. Can't say it enough how much I enjoy Maya.

To me all of Dixie's reunions with people are a little awkward, LOL just the way she approaches and talks to them. Not feeling the way Cady's been playing this. Dixie seeing Marissa & Amanda especially. I LOL'd today when Dixie first saw Amanda, I hated the way she said "I heard you had a baby and named it after your Dad!" It was just so...idk. I can't put my finger on it.

I'm over Zach and Kendall, like really the majority of the episode all they did was argue. How ridiculous. This Orpheus mess has put a damper on everything.

Cara looked fab as ever today

I wonder what Scott & Madison have been up to lately? And Frankie & Randi? And Erica?

• Members

Once again, you and I agree 100%! Broderick has deepened the writing considerably. Now that we know the show isn't ending entirely, I wish they would wrap up the Orpheus Project and move on to new stories for the remainder of the cast.

I thought the Damon reveal had potential if Hillary had come back and I remember reading (on this site I thought) that Broderick wanted to bring her back but K&S decided not to.

I'm not sure if Marian is off the show now or not, but it seems strange that Janet & Annie were reunited with some of their loved ones and Marian hasn't seen Colby or Liza.

• Members

And what a mistake that was! Not that I thought Damon-is-Tad's-son had any merit (I still don't think it's possible for Tad and Hillary to have had a child), but just imagine if Dixie had returned again w/ Hillary still on the canvas?

Archived