GH: Classic Thread

• Members

This story should have been Brenda/Sonny's from the start, but it's been a decade so I will get over it eventually lol. 

I think Nina/Sonny do have possibilities but I may lose it completely if he leaves the mob for Nina.  I will just die in a pool of tears for what might have been for Sonny/Brenda. 

I honestly think there's an 80-90% chance that when Mo decides to leave or GH is cancelled he will end up with Brenda but there is zero hope on the horizon as of now.  It's so hard to say though because I agree with you and @j swift that Sonny/Carly are so established and it's possible my inner fangirl is talking.  I don't really think anything should break Carson apart at this point.  They have been through so much and even a Brenda reappearance shouldn't shake Carly.  It probably is the only thing that would make Carly insecure, but it shouldn't if you look at the actual history.

The chemistry really isn't there with MB and LW but they work okay together.  I think it's hard to compare the two couples because there are so many what ifs with Sonny/Brenda and Brenda flits in and out of the canvas unlike Carly so Carly has visible signs of growth and change while Brenda doesn't really.  

Anyhow, I like Laura Wright and think she has done well with Carly.  It's just a different Carly than I would have imagined SJB's Carly to be.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I actually don't think there's anything to invest in with the current Sonny and Carly. I've never felt it was serious this time. I feel the 2010s iteration of them has always been a marriage of convenience and comfort for the characters in their heart of hearts, nothing more. It could break apart tomorrow. And it's clearly the show out of ideas.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It does feel the writers are writing them as an item out of obligation. MB and LW have a decent rapport but it does not feel like romantic chemistry and never have.

Which is another reason the way they are messing up the current stories is triply irritating. Since they didn't have the guts to break them up outright, it should have been a decent window of opportunity to explore the characters drifting apart for logical reasons  and instead someone insisted that No. Carson must be the endgame.

• Members

MB/LW truly do lack romantic chemistry, but at the same time I feel like Carson still makes sense?  Sonny/Carly have both had so many pairings that it's easy for them to come together.  I don't think they are each others great loves, but I don't know where you go at this point with them.  I don't want to see MB in another failed romance and the show has really doubled down on them over the years.  Although it seems like they might be trying to shake them up now.   I honestly would not care if they broke up tomorrow, but I would hope the show had a clear idea where they were headed because if not they will just default back to them again.

• Members

I go back and forth on all of them.  TB was my favorite in real time because she's the first Carly I liked, but SJB has some really good work when you look back.  I just really irrationally hated her so much because she broke up Jason/Robin and I really, really loved Jason/Robin.  I swear I was convinced they were an endgame couple and they never even got back together lol.

TB/MB just played really good romantic leads together.  TB's Carly was definitely softer around the edges, but once Sonny shot Carly in the head I basically lost all goodwill I had towards Sonny/Carly and now I have just grown used to them being together.

• Members

Same. I really wanted a Sonny/Carly reunion but I think boring wiring really killed all their steam after 2014. Laura Wright's Carly and Sean K's AJ really had some fire going there in 2013/2014. The same with SJB's Carly and Billy W.'s AJ in 2000 during the marriage storyline. There was real Quartermaine dysfunctional couple energy there. Missed opportunity!

I'll sound like a broken record, lol, but totally. TB's Carly brought out the best version of Sonny and Carly. No doubt in my mind however that SJB is the best Carly. She was trashy, scrappy, vulnerable, sexy, annoying, and toxic all in one.  TB played pampered petulant diva to a tee. They totally wasted her return with the Kim character. Claudia was done far better, shame she only lasted a year. Her short run was consequential especially for Michael. 

At the end of GH I'm opting for Sonny & Brenda — and I would say Jason and Carly. As we've seen with the Sonny amnesia story, the chemistry (or the execution) is lacking. Jason and Britt had far more fire. 

• Members

I generally think it's ridiculous to bring popular actors back to different roles (I am not even going to touch RH or ME because I am not sure their characters were popular to begin with).  Claudia/Kim weren't even twins or doppelgängers.  The audience was just supposed to pretend we didn't notice and that's just disrespectful. 

Claudia had potential, but she got some awful, misogynistic writing and I believe it was Sarah's choice to leave. 

And Oscar's mom was set up to be such a mystery and it turned out to be Kim?  A woman we didn't know or care about lol.   And the show didn't even try to re-pair her and MB.  So weird. 

I had forgotten how much I liked SK's AJ and LW's Carly.  I even liked him and Liz.  What a shame...... 

• Members

The funny thing is TB pushed very hard for the Alcazar pairing and for Carly to move forward from Sonny. Of course she was put in her place for that and eventually left. I guess you could say the same happened with SJB, who questioned the motivation for the character-writing on her way out in 2001 as well. 

As a character arc, SJB had the best by far during her tenure. She instilled an emotional depth in that character that hasn't been duplicated since. LW is content with playing Carly as written and that's fine - but Carly has basically been any random basic soap antiheroine with her in the role.  With SJB, she often played against the writing, added layers to the characterization, and often came off as very anti-soap in a good way (if that makes sense). TB put in some great work, but the grittiness that made Carly unique wasn't often there in her more polished and mob-wife version. 

• Members

I know TB pushed for the Alcazar pairing and got hell for it from MB/SBu.

Anyhow, I think SJB and TB both jumped the gun on leaving the show.  I could see SJB rolling the dice in primetime because she still was young back then, but unfortunately both TB and SJB have been around the block in daytime playing a bunch of lesser characters when we know either would be better than LW's Carly.  

I am happy TB has a job, but watching her waste away cooking for Rafe on Days is awful.

Anyway, it was  a long time ago and LW does her Carly thing now, but there are still occasions when I wonder how TB or SJB would have played.  I can tell you the Jason/Carly stuff would be a lot better.