August 1-5, 2011

Toups

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow OLTL on Monday- almost 3.2 million... and almost 700,000 more than GH?? Considering it was hitting 2,000,000 viewers last summer, this is a huge increase.

Overall I think the show is good and what we are seeing now is post-cancellation stories- clearly they dropped some angles (less Fords, just finished up their stories it seems)- the RHTodd/Starr/Viki/Jess scenes have been good- but I also like the Matthew/Destiny/Nora/Bo story that's kicking up now... and the Rama/Vimal side story

• Members

The thing is I would look at this as a business person. Fan OUTCRY/UPSETNESS does not uncancel a show or ever do merit. NUMBERS DO NOT LIE, and If I were a business person examining ratings, I would start to wonder if I made a mistake here. We have to look at this from a business standpoint here an executive you don't cancel a show with rising numbers to this extent. Honestly from a business standpoint cancelling OLTL was a mistake, it also killed any chance of there Chew succeeding. If ABC had been smart they would have cancelled AMC only and waited a bit. Instead they comitted suicide by killing two shows at once in a disguting vile way. If I would have been ABC I would have cancelled AMC only and waited a bit. First also to see how the Chew was doing and I don't think fans would have been as angry or mad. We all knew AMC was on its last legs out the door. It would have been sad but I would have understood but the complete disregard to and disrespect Brian Frons showed us was boardline DIGUSTING/WRONG on ever level.

• Members

Leo's mini return did squat for AMC's ratings on Friday. Days still limping along. GH lost viewers yet gained HH...I'll never understand that from Nielsen...lol It will be interesting how much OLTL will maintain next next. I see them dropping big next week. Monday's show was good minus the whole Rex carrying a gun scenes.

• Members

If I were a business person I would look at the demos and see despite all the viewer increase they have dropped or stayed the same. Thats all the advertisers who pay the bills care about. NOw online could be a difference animal I have no clue but it will likely work to their advantage.

• Members

I want to say I think its great that OLTL is getting a resurge and that there is some stability with Y&R and B&B but peolpe look at the demos. I will never understand this idea that these shows are doing that great when the demos, which is what the advertisers look at, are still atrocious even for Y&R.

Even in primetime shows like Without a Trace and Cold Case were regularly getting 10-12 million viewers but their demos dropped so the shows were cancelled. Is it fair? no but its business.

Does anyone ever ask themselves why younger women, new younger viewers are not tuning into these soaps? Is it the timeslot, the content, the fact that the writing for the women stink in a genre that is primarily viewed by women?

• Members

I agree mostly with the part in bold, if you took away the two Todd's story, the show would be nothing. RC timed Gigi's death/departure with the two Todd's reveal perfectly, because I suspect that after Gigi's death, the show would have quickly lost all momentum in the ratings.

Yep, if only TSJ hadn't bolted from the show.

Soap Opera Writing 101. Bell, Reilly, Marland, Slesar, all mastered this, sad that so few of today's soap scribes don't understand this.

OLTL is carrying the ABC daytime lineup. Due to OLTL's success in the ratings, AMC's ratings have stabilized a bit. Unfortunately for GH, not many people are staying tuned in to see what comes on after OLTL everyday.

• Members

As others have said I only tune into One Life for the Todd story...There was a day I think last week or so where they weren't featured and I ended up turning the show off..There is NO other story that interests me at all..I want to care about Matthew but when you aren't using Eddie Alderson, I have no interest.

• Members

I think the biggest mistake in bringing back the vets to GH was that they were totally unrecognizable. Rick Webber was made into a murderer. Holly Scorpio was a bioterrorist tart. Robert, Anna and Felicia were deadbeat parents. Suddenly, Scotty was obsessed with Laura and didn't remember Dominique. And I kept scratching my head when I saw this FauxBrenda on my screen. Fans HATED the vet returns because they were so unrecognizable. Guza is simply a hack.

I think if GW would bring back the big vets, repaired the damage, and wrote them in character, ratings would go up.

On another note, I'm thrilled for OLTL. They continue to kick buttph34r.png in the ratings!

Archived