FX: American Horror Story

Toups

• Members

Definitely uncomfortable conversation. One argument that I see often is Marie Laveau being racist and is just as bad as LaLaurie...maybe? maybe not? But let's not pretend like it is the same. Its hard to compare a Marie's ( black person's) justified hatred and general distrust of white people when they have lived through and seen what Marie has with folks like LaLaurie (white people) who have brutalized and hated black people just because they could. Marie's SL is a revenge trope..Marie versus Fiona (the voodoo coven versus the witch coven) is feuding families trope (they just happen to be of different races)....but LaLaurie's story is what? redemption? I resent that being that the character doesn't deserve it.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Chit, I actually agree with you on that one point. I thought that AV review got why I still love watching this crazy show, but get worried when Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk think they are making a BIG STATEMENT which they are, I believe, about race. (Think of any "special episode" of Glee and really it's done with the same amount of subtlety.) But yes, I totally agree that they actually had given a lot of signs that Queenie was unhappy with her situation and didn't fit in from the start--if anything that's the one note she's been asked to play all along. (And, like the critic, don't get me wrong, I *love* Angela/Marie.)

Antoyne, I agree that her acting is awful on this. I liked her on The Big C, but she makes me cringe with most of her lines on AHS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am losing interest. I thought that Marie was going to torture LaLaurie. Compared to what she did those those enslaved men, cutting off her hand and head is exceeding tame.

Kyle's story is boring. The mother torturing her son with the enema was gross.

• Members

Very boring eppy after a two week break!

Like you, Ann, not happy that Marie didn't do much with Delphine.

There is absolutely no reason for Frankenboy, although I suspect they are trying to come up with something so that his presence makes sense before the finale. Don't understand the fascination with this Peters guy. I really don't.

Cordelia sure turns on a dime. Fiona must die to so happy to have you back?!

Seems like Laveau has plenty to do next week so we will see.

• Members

When the episode began, I felt as if I had missed an episode. I didn't like how they handled the continuity from the previous to the most recent one. Something seemed off

Was I the only one that was worried that it was Queenie's head in that box? I thought Marie was sending a message to the witches that she took one of them and killed her in the process

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

I really liked this episode, actually... Until the ending montage. UGH. OK, I was not upset because for once and for all Ryan Murphy's statement in the Summer that after having a kid, and yet another high school shooting he would avoid gun violence on his shows. But come on. Between the massacre of black people (including a suicide,) played to an important piece of music and Kathy Bate's head FINALLY crying after not showing an inch of remorse while listening to it...

Sigh. Oh well, three weeks I guess till the last few episodes.

• Members

I always felt that Ryan was gearing us up for a race war. For that, I would have to hunt him down and tie him to a tree leaving a small cut as to alert animals. They could feed off of his narrow dumb ass!

Jughead shooting up Marie's place would have been epic had that ridiculous music not been playing. Not sure how Queenie is dead as it was a self inflicted wound. Genius to have her do that to take out Jughead, but I don't understand why she's not alive.

So Delphine is now a better person? Ryan is an idiot because showing her what black folks went thru in the 60s was nothing compared to what she did to slaves, so how in the sam hell could that have moved her? REEEEEEdiculous!

Marie Laveau teaming with Fiona?! So here for that!

• Members

Watched 1/2 of S2, and it was just too damn morbid! I skipped from Eppy 6 to 13 because I could not take it and just wanted to see how it ends. Should not have been 13 eppies because then you have to wonder what the creator went thru in is life to come up with that stuff. It was just too much! Hated it! And so tired of ugly ass Sarah Paulson! Super happy Zach Quinto is not in the current season - absolutely no appeal whatsoever! What a bore.

Rancid ass season, and although I'm a bit curious about some of the things I missed, I'm good!