FX: American Horror Story

Toups

• Members

I tried to give this a shot despite my disgust for all things Ryan Murphy. I made it to the end of Week 1 and I just couldn't be bothered to come back, despite the lure of naked Evan Peters, even if they did CGI out his dick. Maybe Netflix someday. But nothing I've heard makes me terribly enthused.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This bugs me. I cut some slack when it comes to Ryan Murphy's lack of character development when it comes to this show (or more the fact that we see characters move from point A to C and miss point B) but in this case I couldn't tell if we were meant to feel sorry for LaLaurie and Queenie's "betrayal?" One scene of them bonding over fast food does not do that. If they took another episode to show some of that, I might have. But in an interview about the episode on EW, Murphy said he wanted us to feel sad that Queenie still felt she needed to betray her friend. WTF?

I still think Season 2 somehow was all tied together effectively (though the last two episodes apparently were mainly Tim Minear's idea.) This season is a clusterfuck and I'm not sure it can be tied into something cohesive.

• Members

Yeah, the Queenie/LaLaurie stuff made me not want to pay attention to the rest of the show last night. I just don't feel comfortable with the idea that we're supposed to feel sorry for LaLaurie. I definitely don't feel comfortable with Queenie's storyline revolving around making nice with the racist who slaughtered slaves.

And don't get me started on the Zoe sh!t. I don't care about her.

• Members

Mission accomplished because, last night on Twitter, Queenie was not treated very well for her "betrayal". I was shocked with the name calling. Kathy does such a wonderful job at everything, and she made me feel for Delphine - not that I won't be enjoying what Marie has in store for her next week (didn't the preview show her cutting off a limb). The absolute fear in Delphine's eyes was a bit sad, but I don't hate Q for it. I am just shocked she went thru with it.

• Members

I am not. White privilege dictates that that the LaLaurie can torture and murder black people, but she should be forgiven and embraced by Queenie as the representative of all black people. How dare Queenie be disgusted by hearing about LaLaurie's depravity first hand. The most unbelievable part is that LaLaurie is not sorry or has she begged for forgiveness. If given the chance, she would likely do the same to Queenie. Frankly, everything bit of pain LaLaurie is going to suffer is deserved 100 times over.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

Dang who'd have that though all Kyle needed was a good lay.

tumblr_mwrnhbckjh1qcne1io7_250.gif

Can they please give Cordelia some glasses? She is really creepy to look at

tumblr_mwrtthZdnP1qj5cd5o2_250.gif

I like Madison's new goth look

tumblr_mwsk9jeC5s1seki3po3_250.giftumblr_mwsk9jeC5s1seki3po1_250.gif

Good for Queenie joining up with Marie. Speaking of Marie, I love her. She is one of the best character currently on television. Angela Bassett is doing such an amazing job

tumblr_mwd1n4rBgC1qfy2kdo1_500.gif

:lol:

tumblr_mws61f4lT21snvpl4o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mwsn1zDtzT1sk9rgqo1_500.jpg

I really like some of the fanart popping up for the show

• Members

While they hit some valid points, Queenie's doubts didn't just come out of nowhere. She has been calling the other witches derogatory names from day one. Queenie never thought she really fit in and Delphine only reinforced that by telling her the others will never truly accept her. Marie? She needs an in, and she will do anything to get one. Queenie is vulnerable, so naturally, when a black woman tells her she has a home, she is going to lap that up like a new puppy. Marie is only using Q because she has no use for witches, not even black ones. Once Marie is done with Q, she will discard her properly, assuming Q doesn't strike first with her abilities.

I think they chose Gabby because she appears to be comfortable with her size, and if she is happy, the viewers won't fuss. Gabby will not lose a pound because if she does, out the Hollywood window she goes. She may as well stay unhealthy for as long as she can get away with it because the roles are coming in.

So agreed about FrankenKyle. I think Ryan is so enamored with Peters that he tossed him in because when you really look at it, FrankenKyle fits nowhere in this season! Perhaps he will prove to be useful later, and if that is the case, there was no need to feature him so much.

Love the fan art, and Angela is totally rocking this role! I absolutely love Marie Laveau!!!!!

• Members

Ryan Murphy must be a totally incompetent writer. I thought we were suppose to rejoice that Queenie betrayed her. Look at the story LalAurie told about that baby...and her utter lack of remorse for it. Saying "it was a different time" to explain it away or convince Queenie that it was okay. Then for her to tell Queenie that she would never be accepted because she is black. Come on now.

• Members

"Queenie switches sides because a couple of people tell her that her fellow schoolmates will never think of her as a sister witch and because LaLaurie—a woman she already knows to be an immortal racist murderer who created a minotaur—once killed a baby. Yeah, I get why she doesn’t want to be forever friends with LaLaurie after that revelation, but turning on everybody else? The show is trying to use race as a central motivation in its “Now, you go here, and you go here” action-figure storytelling, but it just doesn’t work or conform to the characters as we’ve gotten to know them."

I don't think that this it is as simple at that with Queenie. She feels like an outsider and is looking for somewhere to fit in. How may times has she said she doesn't need the "sorority" because she is used to looking out for herself. But then she is secretly looking for love and acceptance which we saw with the Minotaur. So really her talk is just a front for what she really wants. We know that she has aspirations to be a powerful witch. Look how easily to ate that line up from Fiona about being the supreme. But she never really believed that and neither did Fiona. I don't see it as Queenie turning on the rest of the witches moreso than it is about her own ambition accompanied by her desire to be accepted.

• Members

ITA. I don't see this as Queenie turning on the other witches. Rather she is trying to find a place to belong and be loved. As far as she knows Marie only wants LaLaurie who is a monster. Queenie is not privy to Marie's plans. When she does find out, this is when we will see where her loyalty lies.

I am clueless about what Murphy is trying to say about "race," but I like that he is generating difficult and uncomfortable conversation.

• Members

Or they are not even attempting to see actions through the eyes of the characters...or just can't empathize with Queenie's situation/story. Someone who has always fitted in may not understand the thoughts and feelings of an outsider (which is a situation that doesn't have to necessarily do with race, could be class, gender, straight/gay. cis/trans, general interests, hobbies, basically anything that is not like the most of the people you are around).

Edited by ajsp35801