Y&R: Eric Braeden interview

• Members

Entertaining read but yeah I can't believe he still has issues over what I thought was a brilliant scene from a decade ago. I love how there has always been a blurry line between Braeden and Victor, although I note here he tries to differentiate himself from Victor.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I'm over actors who blame the system too. There are always winners who suck at EVERY award show. And that "popularity contest" was fine when it rewarded him. At least actors from every show get a chance to be nominated. ATWT couldn't buy a nomination (or more than one a year) between 1980-2000.

• Members

No one can ever complain that Braeden doesn't keep it real. Too bad the soap press is so fixated on one dying show that they won't eve pretend to support the shows still around. Victor Newman may be an ass but he is the face of soaps for straight males.

• Members

As time goes on I wonder what that says about society today. Victor has always been selfish, a prick, destructive, but he's never deliberately beaten a woman until lately. A part of me wants to go along with the idea that it's just a laugh and not serious, but the scene was presented very seriously, and as something we should endorse.

• Members

I just don't know where my feelings stand with Eric Braeden. I guess the key word is "Respect" from me to him, but I can't help but feel like he is more and more of an A**hole everytime i read or see new interviews of him. I thought he actually did not mind being slapped by Heather, but of course this interview proves otherwise. I hope he didn't bitch when Jerry had to punch him....

I mean i guess its good to hear that he wouldn't do more of the extreme stuff that Victor does, but i still get annoyed at how it seems like he really does tell the writers to let Victor win all the time. How did Bill Bell except all of this?, unless he tried not to get influenced by Braeden as much as the others.

• Members

Actually he never did. Bell threatened both Braeden and Bergman in the early 90s we to Bell's words he'd show the two of them the REAL diva of the show. Notice too Victor became a secondary character for a couple years after that incident. Bell knew when to put his foot down, and Braeden was smart enough and respected Bell enough to keep in line. It wasn't until Alden took over things changed.

• Members

What about that one scene from 1993, when Jack confronts Victor about him being responsible for Nikki's fall down the stairs and losing the baby. Jack was such an emotional wreck right before this considering he had just met the woman with the baby boy who got his and Nikki's sons heart, yet Victor still knocked him out with a punch even though Victor deserved to be punched by Jack more. Since Bill was writing then, I always assumed Eric told Bill to give him a "No Physical violence done to him" clause (Kind of like Susan Flannery for a while with the "no one slaps her" rule.) But since you told me Bill never caved to Eric and how he wanted the character during the show, I wonder if Bill only had Victor punch Jack because it would give people more of a reason to hate Victor (on the show that is) and drive him out of town where he met Hope.

• Members

Eric Braeden was nominated for lead actor 8 times (1987, 1990, 1996-2000, 2004) and has one win (1998), which was his 5th nomination. Eric is the Susan Lucci of the lead actor category, in that he had more nominations before winning than any other lead actor winner.

• Members

It's been a longtime since I've seen that scene (I think was in that 2009 Victor farewell montage and before that aired as a flashback in what 2006?) so I don't remember in the immediate consequences of it but overall it was part of paving the way to drive Victor out of town. Pretty much all the women he loved (Nikki, Ashley, Victoria) turned against him and that hurt him more than getting a punch would.

Archived