• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as I bitch about them, I would put up with being inundated with obnoxious ads of Soapnet.com proportions over paying. If they must go the pay route, Netflix streaming is $7.99/month for far more content, so I think the price point should be about half that.

• Members

First, reach a deal with the unions for Lavery's sake. Nothing is going to happen if they don't do that.

I'd go even lower for a subscription, as long as their content is only a handful of programs, $7.99/year seems like a fair price especially when you compare it with the amount of old and new content Netflix carries. Additionally a price like that will be equivalent to a lot more customers.

I wouldn't cut the programs to 30 minutes but I would air them for only a certain amount of months per year, 6 or less. I'd go with 4. The RHoFormula. This will bring wages down as you don't have to pay two or more casts year round.

I think this is something they should do with OLTL even AMC is delayed. It'll give potential investors real numbers to look at.

Location and sets. Ask people to move? or to move again? I think they should have a location in LA and NY if they plan to expand. More investors interested due to numbers would add up to more money for two locations.

I'd like to think Prospect Park is thinking about different ways to do this whole thing and not just being single minded.

• Members

The first thing Frons talked about at the announcement was, paraphrasing obviously, that this was some great lifestyle change for fat and stupid soap viewers who need to move on.

Some vocal fans are always going to think that an executive hates a soap, but generally other fans will get it. But someone like Frons just bypassed any of that and tried his best to make it seem like this was about some noble attempt to educate soap fans.

• Members

I believe that several have said that the internet is the future for soaps, and I agree with this view.

What I don't agree with is that the way to the future is to continue two 40+ year-old soaps that are on their last legs. For goodness sake, start a new soap. (IMO, the only reason why PP did not attempt to do this was that it would be much easier to lure viewers over to TOLN with established names than to put the effort/money into launching a new soap.)

It's too bad that all the effort put into saving AMC/OLTL wasn't instead directed towards launching a new soap online. That's why I always find the "save the soaps" mantre so insincere.

• Members

I don't think people who want to save their soaps are insincere. They have memories of those soaps. There are other fans who want to save the idea of a soap opera, and what a soap represents, but that's different from someone who loves one soap and wants it to stay on the air.

• Members

Someone was going to try it. I am kind of surpirised NetFlix for example didn't try a show like Firefly which had a sort of younger cult following but producing big budget productions is not something thats been done yet exclusively for an internet channel so its new. I do partially agree they need an audience and this venture has gotten a lot of PR and is going to bring a lot of eyes to their network and I think at the end of the day they want the eyeballs, It doesn't ,mean they dont care about these shows but these are business people building a network. So they are looking for any way to draw in viewers.

• Members

Carl, nobody was insincere by merely trying to save AMC or OLTL. However, I believe that most people are selfish (since that's human nature), and it seemed as if the "save the soaps" mantre was being used by a lot of people as a reason for keeping the Nixon soaps alive. I honestly wouldn't have had a problem if the fans instead said "save AMC & OLTL." But by saying "save the soaps" as a rationale to save THEIR soaps, it really pissed me off. Seriously, if saving the soaps was so important, then a similar s#itstorm would have occurred when Loving, The City, AW, SuBe, PC, Passions, GL, and ATWT all got cancelled. Unfortunately, none of those cancellatons seemed to matter to the vast majority of AMC & OLTL fans, yet these folks acted as if the world stopped turning the moment their soaps were cancelled.

Archived