• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think that PP favored the Nixon soaps over the P&G ones (or had any special emotional connection to them). Based on how disorganized the company has handled things, it's obvious that PP never originally had any intention of saving any soap. However, the PP executives saw the huge outrage that the AMC & OLTL cancellations caused, and then felt it might be wise to acquire many of these disgruntled viewers by (briefly) continuing to air these soaps on their start-up network. (If a similar s#itstorm had erupted after the P&G soaps were cancelled--with many fans saying that this was television's darkest day, going out and buying Hoovers, and trashing Oprah for being "heartless" because she refused to acquire a couple of dying soaps--then the leaders of PP would have probably bought the rights to the P&G soaps.)

Kyle, thank you for answering my quesiton based on the merits. However, the character of Lisa was just as important as Erica or Luke ever was; that character (and the buzz created by her and Bob's relationship) was responsible for the explosion in the genre's popularity, and also served as the prototypes for both Rachel and Erica. Also, I seem to recall that Reva generated as much buzz as Viki did.

When it comes to "socially relevant" storylines, ATWT was the first soap to do a gay storyline, AW was the first soap where a character had an abortion (something few seem to know about given all the "hoopla" over Erica's abortion) as well as the first to do an AIDS storyline, and GL was the first soap to do a cancer storyline. I honestly believe that the "more socially relevant" reputation the ABC soaps have is largely due to the soap elitists (who ran/run the Emmys) who fawned all over AMC & GH. (When it comes to getting the recognition it deserves, OLTL is almost as badly ignored as the P&G soaps were.)

• Members

Saw this on We Love Soaps:

Would You Watch An ALL MY CHILDREN Web Show? Prospect Park Is Betting On It

"Soap actors can create blogs, use social media, or create videos, which they didn't do on mainstream TV," says Susan Miller, executive producer of the award-winning web series ANYONE BUT ME. The sense of intimacy will have fans asking, "Susan Lucci who?"

• Members

I think it's undeniable--historically pre 1980s. Sorry--but all the soap press at the time--think late 70s, complains how the PGP soaps still were afraid to have other races (one exec at ATWT in a soap book I have says that there's nothing they can do, when they ty Black characters ratings fall--this was from 1977). Bell at DAYS and Y&R much less so.

AW had an ILLEGAL abortion--as did several soaps I believe, Erica's is famous for the first legal one on TV, primetime or daytime. That's the hooplah.

When Agnes Nixon was writing AW and OLTL for a few months at the same time she mentioned that PGP refused to allow her to have two friends, a black character and a white one (both women) become roomates as "immoral"--OLTL had no such issues with OLTL (as they were desperate to have a hit, and a younger targeted show). Loving was the first show to have an AIDS storyline way back in 1983--before it was addressed on primetime tv, although ATWT tackled it more comprehensively. AMC had a lesbian storyline which was actually pretty major in 1983 as well (they planned on a ga male storyline but ABC wouldn't allow them to as they had a gay male on Dynasty--weird politics). Same year Loving had the first incest story.

Archived