• Members

Exactly.

As far as I can tell ABC, CBS, and NBC network exes have always made it clear that the soap cancellations were all about economics; low ratings and production costs. Some soap fans simply do not want to hear that truth and have been determined to make it personal when it has always been a business decision.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only time I think most fans felt it was personal was with Frons. Usually, although some (including me) were put off by some of what Moonves said, people are more likely to know when it's just about money. But if a network executive is going to go around giving every reason but money, then people will think it's not about money.

• Members

I see what you mean, but I think, even with the budgetary reasons being the main factor, there is some kind of idea among some at the networks that soap viewers are unworthy and there's this floodgate of people just waiting to watch daytime as soon as the icky soaps are gone. There's been contempt for soap viewers for a long time, which is what helped kill the genre in the first place IMO.

• Members

If there was a feeling there was a floodgate of viewers wanting to see daytime, these networks and not just ABC would not be turning over airtime back to affiliates. I get thinking the execs are out to get soap fans but I dont see it. And promoting a new show like The Talk or THe Chew. What exactly do folks expect the networks to do tell viewers look folks we are putting on these shows because they are cheap and we know they are garbage?I dont see how this is a whole lot different than primetime broadcast TV replacing scripted drama with reality fare. Its got nothing to do with the fact America wants reality TV its all economics. the stigma associated with soaps being housewife fare started long before people like Brian Frons and Barbara Bloom propagated it for their benefit. Its not anything new.

• Members

I think saying "it's about economics" would be enough. I'm sure people would be angry - I was angry when they got rid of GL and ATWT, even if I know why it happened - but it's better than the crapola Frons said when he announced The The.

Not only is it a bad con job, it also sets up unrealistic expectations. A lot of people who tuned into The Chew said they weren't getting what was advertised.

• Members

Agree, It may be personal for fans but for the networks it is nothing but the money. Network exec's have a what have you done for me lately additude with their shows which is to be expected. It doesn't matter how long the show aired, or if it has a dedicated fanbase if it is not pulling its weight it has to go and regardless of how many bloggers and soap media claim soaps are still viable it is the person who is footing the bill that determines that for his/her company.

• Members

Except in every single post-cancellation interview network executives always give money as the reason. They always point to falling demos, lower ad revenue, and high production costs. Typically, this is ignored and a vocal group of soap fans start ranting about how the exec always "hated" the soaps when all these men care about it making profit for their companies so they can hold on to their jobs.

• Members

I understand money is the bottom line in this, but I do think that the network execs are part of the problem. Nobody is trying to fix these shows, which is why the people running the shows and the Daytime Division are ALSO to blame. I also wish somebody would cut one of these soaps budget down 40% to match a talk show and see what happens. A lot of these soaps have casts that are too large anyway. We know soaps command a larger audience so there are things that could be done if they try. And yes you may even lose lots of major cast members, well try and refocus and maybe write one expensive family out and create a new one that is worth watching. The British soaps do it successful so there is no reason US ones couldn't do the same. Even in primetime you lose major characters, entire casts and the show survives.

It's a combination of reasons, but I don't think it's fair to say soap fans are being silly for not falling for the money excuse.

• Members

Tonja Walker gives ideas on her blog talk show on how PP can continue the shows

-Investors For the show

-One Big Sponsor Funds the Show

-Make the show 30 mins

-Do short arcs so you only work certain actors at times then rotate

-Charge a 5.00-10.00 a Subscription fee a month

Archived