• Members

Nothing. I tend to stay out of this thread because for months now it has come across to me as people hoping PP would fail, and now taking delight that they seem to have done so. I will never understand it. Here you have this company that wanted to save the show, and everyone seems to resent that and was rooting against them from day one. And these are the soap fans ! I would hate to see what soap haters would say. But this goes all the way back to the prequel thread when the very same naysayers mocked and belittled the soap fans who were willing to protest, write, contact people, harass, stalk, do anything to keep the soap alive. There seems to be more fun to be had at an ongoing wake than there would be at a saved soap.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is really no reason to hate PP they tried regardless if some see it or not and they are still trying. This is more than AMC/OLTL to them this is their online network which the soaps are a small part of. The story got leaked I don't know if we would have been privy to any of this information if not for that. I think PP didn't realize that soap fans want to know every detail and they aren't use to that.

• Members

You can't fault people from having doubts from the beginning things sounded shaky. For me it wasn't about wanting to see PP fail it was realistic projections on how was this going to work in the way that they described. There is nothing wrong with being skeptical a wise man should question what is brought forth to him instead of blindly accepting it as the truth.

• Members

I agree. From the beginning, their plan sounded unworkable. I think down the road, many shows will be viewed from the Internet instead of having to find it on a broadcast channel and have enough viewers to sustain themselves (with advertising most likely), but I don't think we're quite there yet. I do think PP's idea will be workable in the future, but again, viewing shows on the Internet is not quite there yet, at least enough of an audience to sustain shows that are costing millions. A lot of people felt they were biting off more than they could chew and trying to hold onto a model that wasn't really viable anymore and putting it on a platform that wasn't quite ready, and I think those worries are showing themselves to be sadly true. Plus, I don't think the company was quite as ready to take on this project as they maybe thought they were. If only they had started smaller, they wouldn't be needing so much money.

• Members

Yes, but there's skeptical, and then there's cynical, and it's been mostly the latter around here. I will never understand the backlash PP got straight out of the gate in this thread. The absolutely unheard of notion that a young production company would make the effort to continue not one but two beloved cancelled soap operas, and fans are at their computers hocking up spit for the eyes of Frank and Kwatinetz. Seems like such backward thinking to me. The extraordinary task at hand is obvious, I have no doubt that they've been dancing for their lives trying to get this thing off the ground. And think about it, if successful, their efforts to come to terms with the unions will be historically significant in the industry. This project has put PP's name in people's mouths. The idea that this is all a conspiracy and they'd willingly put their name on the line to be known by the industry and the public as the production company that failed at saving the soaps is absurd. They don't have the time nor the money for such foolishness. Problem is, everyone wants to know everything and they want to know it now and they get mad and start making up their own news and theories when they aren't getting anything factual.

• Members

If it was actually skepticism, I'd be prone to agree with you.

Oh, please. Put that away. You hardly qualify to what chyti is talking about.

That's exactly the problem. Somewhere along the line, people began to feel entitled to information at every turn regarding business decisions that absolutely DO NOT INVOLVE THEM.

No, it wouldn't have been, dear. I can see it now. The spin-off concept would be used as fodder to claim that Prospect Park was trying to get rid of Susan Lucci (or whichever entity people enjoyed that somehow didn't make it into the spin-off). Much like ABC moving All My Children from NYC to LA was cited as a way to get rid of David Canary and the vets. People will see a conspiracy no matter how plain the subject may be.

Absolute yum!! wub.png

I know, right? It's more commendable to HATE.

• Members

I freely admit to cynicism. Personally I turned against PP when Deadline accused SuLu of trying to gouge them. I believe that story was leaked to Deadline in the effort to put pressure on Lucci to sign and I believe it was done with PP's knowledge and consent. If it turns out I'm wrong about that then so be it. I've seen nothing from PP that has given me any reason to support their taking over my soap. Everything I've seen has told me that they are just a watered down version of ABC. I won't support that.

Look at your signature before you start talking about hate, hypocrite.

• Members

I think there was understandable cynicism, but a lot of the time, especially early on, it veered more towards "oh look at those crazy/stupid fans" and "they sure give us a bad name," as a default. Even putting out a thank you ad for OLTL and AMC turned into stupid soap fans who were going to be conned out of their money.

• Members

What? My signature?! Oh, honey, the two things have nothing to do with each other. I think you're confused. The hypocrisy is coming from you.

For your sake, I hope so. Nothing's worse than being left with a... "WTF?!" feeling at the conclusion of a finale. :lol: I speak from recent experience. ;)

THAT's what I'm saying. It seemed as if anyone (soap fan, actor, production company alike) did something or said something in favor or in an effort to prolong their shows, they were met with being called crazy, pathetic fans.

• Members

I could not care less that Oprah Winfrey's inbox was bombarded with pleas. What am I, her mother? I got my own inbox to worry about. Maybe she should have saved us all from her craptacular and failing ego network and invested in Prospect Park. Everyone would have been happy and she could have maybe put on a program someone actually wants to watch.

I was always optimistic about PP because there is no percentage in being pessimistic. As they say in the gambling world, where's the vig in that? All my weeks of cautious optimism gave me all those weeks of happy hope the shows might live another day. Naive perhaps, but online is the future and the soaps have a better shot there than garnering 1.0s on some quality-free network devoted to perky chat crap and cooking shows. As I posted today in the primetime forum "Arrested Development" is heading to Netflix as an original program. It's the same idea as this one. Netflix has a built in subscriber base and more money, but the logic is still the same.

Archived