• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With all due respect to the author of this article, it is completely false to say that this move was far more difficult than anyone anticipated; the fact of the matter was that there were some who questioned from the beginning if the move online would ever occur.

Note that I'm not here to "pat myself on the back" for making a correct prediction. As a matter of fact, I was not among the few folks who questioned if this venture would ever get off the ground. Instead, I took as Gospel every article I read that said that this move online was a done deal; consequently, my prediction all along was that both shows would only last an additional year or two.

• Members

It seemed daunting that they'd be able to pay the same wages, have the same production value, do five shows a week, etc. I think we all assumed they knew something that we didn't? But really they just stupidly bought the rights to AMC and OLTL without having a clue what it would cost?

• Members

This is exactly right, Soapsuds.

Honestly, I have seen some "excuse" this by stating that "PP's hand was forced" because the NY Post leaked news of their plans. (I believe that the NY Post was the paper that first leaked this info; in that article, the writer carelessly got his facts wrong by stating that both AMC & OLTL would end in September.) However, this is such a bulls#it excuse, becuase if the PP executives were honest, they could have completely denied the story (or said "no comment"). The soap press also failed miserably, because they took the word of the Post as fact and failed to ask any tough questions of PP (until very recently), choosing instead to serve as their biggest cheerleaders. Honestly, the soap press' headline that "AMC and OLTL Will Move Online" was as big a blunder as the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline.

Archived