B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

+1

The biggest blunder was the total waste of the Grant character (as well as bringing back Clarke and then not using him in 1997!?) as a total controll freak despite the obvious chemistr between Charles Grant & KKL. Thankfully, the Grant&Macy pairing followed which was a joy and provided much the previous love tringale around Grant lacked. Unfortunately, Brad Bell decided to kill Grant off instead of playing it along a little longer.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I actually liked Grant's character too though his story was changed more times than I could count. He originally came on as an old high school boyfriend of Taylor's, I think their first scenes were them making out but almost immediately after that Hunter officially informed them she was leaving for Melrose and they quickly shifted to a Grant/Brooke/Ridge triangle. 

But I will say that I was glad, and whomever made the decision (Bill or Brad) was correct, that 1998 pretty much killed the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle for several years (until Hunter had contract issues with the show again). After the merry go round of 1997 it was time to settle those characters and play something else. 

Of course that led to Brooke/Thorne and Brooke/Decaon and while I enjoyed Kanan on the show, Deacon took a lot of characters in directions they couldn't really recover from IMO. 

I think Brad Bell is honestly a bad writer and without his father overseeing things became outright atrocious but the most frustrating thing about him was the waste and stupid rotation of great characters. Characters would come in, stay for a year or two and inevitably be killed off - even if the character was working. 

Edited by Vizion

• Members

Yes I remember loving Grant and Macy together, but they barely had any time together before he died

Yes I remember in 1998 once Ridge found out he was Thomas' father and he chose Taylor, I thought, this better be the end of this, I was getting so sick of it by then. I can't say I liked Brooke with Thorne though.

• Members

Back to the 1988 episodes from AmySilence:

unlike lots of internet clamor on the first airdate of Sally Spectra, I can now confirm that it was NOT in December 1988. I just saw the very last episode of 1988 (#441) and there is absolutely no sign of Sally or Clarke being pressured by his old boss yet.  The lovely Darlene Conley probably started taping in December 1988 because I have seen an episode in the 450-range with Sally which should pop on YouTube any day now. It’s gonna be interesting how much set-up there is gonna be because the last mention of shady knock-of rival Spectra Fashions was in Spring 1988... I always assumed there was a much more detailed path to the Spectras, yet Clarke is already super busy with business ambitions at Forrester Creations and keeping Margo’s baby a secret from Kristen - only his (former) employer Spectra is no longer an issue .

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

Yes I can't wait for La Spectra to arrive. The first mention of her in synopsis is from Jan 16 - 20 (roughly two weeks from where we are). But if you have seen her in episode 450, that mean she is almost here (Just watched ep #445). It will actually start feeling like B&B when she rocks up. Darlene was just so right and added so much to the show. 

Also this may be an unpopular opinion, but I am really liking Clayton Norcross as Thorne. I am actually not looking forward to Jeff Trachta replacing him. Even as a young boy watching I thought he was such a cheese fest and also too arrogant at times, I actually even prefer Windsor Harmon to Jeff.

• Members

You may add to our list: Judith Borne as Angela Forrester in January 1989 as well. She was on recurring status the first couple of months.

And MAJOR news: Darlene Conley's very first episode has just been uploaded to YouTube. I have waited YEARS for this! Sally Spectra made her debut in #452 in January 1989.

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

Watching the Amy Silence channel.... I was curious why Storm/Margo wasn't pursued as a couple since the actors had chemistry... it felt in character for Storm to be invested in the Clarke/Kristen/Margo mess outside of being a lawyer (his dislike of Clarke started because Kristen married him, and deepended because Clarke refused to have anything to do with the baby Margo was carrying... and it bought up abandonment issues Storm had).   I do wonder why the shift in the story because he is written off.. and Mick (Kristen's ex from NY) is bought in eventually (I think in spring 1989... and was the first guy Macy was interested in before she met Thorne).