B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The strange thing is that both Saul and Darla were not added to the opening until 1993.
Darla was bumped to recurring in 1996 and was removed from the opening with the December 1996 update. Saul must have been taken off contract in 1995 (months before the actor's death).

A few other short-lived contract roles weren't added to the opening at all during the first few years of the show.
From 1993 on, I think every contract role appeared on the opening at least for a short while, even some of the child actors (the pre-Jacob Young Rick and the pre-Jennifer Finnigan Bridget). They started updating the credits more often with up to 4 different versions each year.

• Members

Isn't that shame too? B&B was so on fire 1997-1998, from Eric & Stephanie's wedding disaster, Grant's theft(well, it was HIS own designs!) from Forrester and showing up at Spectra in retaliation against Brooke and the Forresters doing him wrong, the fashion show in Italy complete with Stephanie's revenge against Sally at Lake Como, Sheila pushed to suicide and jumped off the roof in her wedding dress, and of course Brooke & Taylor having each risen the stakes between Taylor's pregnancy and of course Brooke's fake pregnancy and fake miscarriage. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

At the 412 episode mark..I can see why Katie was phased out..her arc since #1 was concluding with her having confidence and a guy asking her out.  Plus her character was removed from her the business aspect.  Brooke was dating a Forrester, Donna was modeling, and Storm  was an attorney...so they had ties.

Shame the show didn't pursue Margo and Storm.

• Members

A lot of the Taylor, Ridge, Thorne, Brooke stuff is still up on (the main focus of the clips is Taylor and Ridge though). It's unfortunate that full episodes or stuff for other characters isn't up anywhere. 

Boy is it hard looking at how entertaining the show was in 1997-1998 and how it became awful rubbish by 2002-2003

Edited by Vizion

• Members

For me Brooke was such a pivotal part of the show and she was basically decimated as a character post 1998. I know a lot of people liked her with Thorne, but I hated it, having her act the exact same with Thorne as she did with Ridge was ridiculous, they were meant to be apparently, even though she had never shown the slightest bit of interest in him before, Eric made sense. He was still reeling from losing Beth and she from losing Ridge, they found each other in a desperately lonely time and she got pregnant, which turned what would have been a brief affair into a marriage that was doomed from the start.

I also hated how violent Stephanie started becoming, then of course Brooke getting pregnant by Deacon was just the end. This was when "The Slut from the Valley" was born. 

Around the time Shiela took off I started cooling off. 1999 was okay (except the Brooke/Thorne pairing) but was not that invested in many of the stories and new characters. I was on and off the show and gave up around the time Taylor died again. 

• Members

Man, Susan Flannery (and this writing) is MISSED.

It really baffles me that soaps can't be more creative with the storytelling. They just recycle plot points instead of digging deeper. A man and a woman married for 20 years get divorced after he leaves her for a younger woman. Stephanie is in denial and believes he's just having a midlife crisis and he will eventually come back to her. It sounds simple enough but Stephanie's POV was written very well and more compelling than anything I have seen on B&B in ages. 

I seesaw back and forth between feeling really sad about what has happened to soaps, just thinking they're better off being cancelled and having a small glimmer of hope that at least one writer on one show will get it or possibly turn their show around.