B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Randomly looking at B&B episodes to see what classic stuff is still on You Tube and came across this clip. I can't believe they had Kyle Lowder just flopping around like that (though I guess that might be why they quickly cut out of that scene). 

If you go to 6:18 in this video when he jumps on the bed you'll see what I mean 

• Members

I can't stop watching the classic episodes.

I'm just at the beginning still.

These first 500 episodes of Bold are... 30 year later SPECTACULAR. The plots are so well written, there is gentle build-up, EVERY character has purpose, there is CONFLICT in every scene, there is subtext. 

I've been observing everything very closely and I think the writers have used lot's of myths and ancient storyline arcs. I even detect Shakespearian plot-steps, but I guess... every good story has something shakespearian.

Every dialogue reminds me of something I've read, heard, seen. It goes on like a good play.

And after so many years, I'm reminded why I fell in love with this show, when I was a baby. Why I won't go to school, so I can watch it.

My mother was in the hospital, ready to give birth to me, when she would watch Bold every single day. 

LET ME say... Stephanie Forrester was so powerful and scary! And smart! Every scene she is in, I get goosebumps. She is so manipulative and sharp, and at the same time... aristocratic and beautiful.

Ridge is the total JERK and I love it. 

Caroline is the way a HEROINE should be written. She is not easy and she is constantly striving to change.

Brooke is... acting better than she acts today. Smarter and older in her thinking...

This show was a DIAMOND. And now it's a cheap roll of toilet paper.

• Members

That's because Bill Bell was a genius and Bradley Bell did not inherit his father's talent.

The first three years you can see the elements from 1970s Y&R, but once the Spectra gang becomes a bigger part of the story and Bill Bell writes off the characters that weren't working, it's full steam ahead to the end of the 1990s.

• Members

Queen Stephanie was indeed written marvellous in the early years. And Susan Flannery looked DA BOMB. Interesting enought around Xmas 1988 I noticed that her dresses got a slightly wider, they started Dressing her more casual with sweaters on occasion - up until Susan Flannery was super slim and always dressed to the nines.

While I agree with you that Ridge, Caroline and Brooke all had en edge and written very well, the love triangle was not much better than we get to see nowadays with Liam, Steffy and Hope or at least it was also feautured too much and too often in stand alone episodes were everyone's main concern in all over L.A. is with whom Ridge is shagging up. And until the arrival of Clarke (boost #1) and later the Spectras (Major boost #2) the B and C stories were much too weak.

Speaking of which: Episode 463 and Episode 467 proved to me what an amazing Addition Darlene Conley was to the show. These two episodes are stand-Outs; Sally was soooo bold and suddenly B&B feels very much alive.

• Members

I realize that this is B&B and is not Susan Flannery as Laura on DOOL or as she is today Directing, etc. but did you happen to see her in between and betwixt when she was on Dallas? Oy! She was so magnificent. And, she did a movie where she played a cougar to her best friend's son. Also amazing.

• Members

And I don't know if I'm old fashioned, but the soundtrack was superb. So dramatic and in the same time classy. What happened to all these amazing Bold and beautiful melodies. Nowadays, the music is so awful, it's laughable and at times like you are watching animation.

• Members

I liked early Sally that we are seeing in these uploaded episodes... I hated that the show made her want the Forrester's respect, etc.  I thought it diluted the character a bit.  I know once the Donna/Bill Temptation story wraps up.. I think Macy's arrival plus Kristen's ex Mick's arrival are the next stories coming up.