B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I actually think the current is not too bad, yet I prefer the older tunes as well. Admittedly every 5 years they have slightly changed the tunes and phased out old music which is used just occasionally onwards. It is still happening today and unlike Y&R, thankfully B&B still seems to own the rights to the wonderful music from Jeff Allocco and David Kurtz.

Susan Flannery was amazing as Leslie Stewart on DALLAS: I have no idea why they didn't use her beyond that 1st (?) season. She worked so well with Larry Hagman.

La Flannery was quite the minx in 1970s. Her role on "The Moneychangers" (I saw the mini-series just last year on DVD for the first time) was also quite sultry, but also a very sharp attorney. Then after DALLAS it seems like she took a prolonged maternity leave which basically killed her career (or she did not want to work at that time???) - until Bill Bell hired her for B&B.

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

I'm up to episode 90. And let me say. This is the best thing i've seen in my life. Judge me... I like it. And let me be honest with you... for the past couple of days I've been faking the flu, so I can stay home and watch B&B. I've never been so excited... to wait for Brooke arriving at the Forresters mansion, to cry with Beth after she saw Eric for the first time. I feel like a kid again. I snuck into the warm bed, under the covers and I just watch episode after episode. I don't want it to end. I'm happy I have time to catch up to 500 episodes... that are being uploaded to youtube. I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. I've been obsessed with B&B since childhood, and when I was 10 I started collecting. But... I had never seen the beginning. Dream come true.

This show is my guilty pleasure. 

• Members

In my continuing appreciation of the Classic episodes, I just realized why it's so interesting to watch - ignore the amazing dialogue, music, set and overall rich and beautiful feeling of the show, that nowadays can't be duplicated by prime time shows even... IT'S THE MULTIPLE storylines. Comparing to today... and the last 15 years actually, when the show could only tell 1, 2 stories at a time, mainly one, which is a triangle... with everyone else being used as a commentary. I remember 2011 or 2012 when there were months of boring, dull episodes, in which Brooke is with Ridge, or Stephanie, or someone else, and she has done something, slept with someone by mistake, and all we hear is CRYING, explaining, re-telling something that happened 2 months ago, with the character in the next room discussing the same thing. IT WAS DEATH. And 15 years before that... in 1987...

The show had... I may over-estimate... but 5 to 8 stories, 2,3 of them MAIN, 1 - THE BIGGEST and rest also important...

In episodes 60-70-something we have

Ridge / Caroline / Thorne - I think it's the main story.

Eric/Margo/Stephanie

and

Beth/Eric

- second

Rocco with Katie and Donna - third

and then...

Brooke/Caroline - friendship

Brooke/Ridge - beginning - will be main soon.

Brooke/Thorne - beginning

Donna - new life with some guy... not that important for me.

Bill/Margo - interesting

Bill VS Ridge - I love it!

Stephanie VS Kristen 

Kristen - job at Forrester

Mother Logan attacked by guys and moving with the Logans...

The whore ALex and Thorne using her to attack Ridge

And... more and more and more.

I don't say these are all storylines, but they are all relationships happening simultaneously. AND IT'S BREATHTAKINGLY ENGAGING.

Bill Bell was... A MASTER.

• Members

Susan Flannery was on Dallas in 1981 for 13 episodes.  Between Dallas and B&B, she was in a couple of made-for-TV movies; her IMDb page has no entries for 1984-1986.

Susan's daughter was born in either 1986 or 1987; her age is given as 21 in this early 2008 interview: https://www.nowtolove.com.au/celebrity/celeb-news/b-and-b-susans-aussie-daughter-23248

Edited by kalbir

• Members

I thought the show from 1987 to 1991 was strongest in terms of storyline equality.... not everything revolved around the Forresters... The Logans had their own base, the Spectras had their own base, and the Forresters had their own base... by 1992... everything revolved around the Forresters and I think it worked at first.. but after awhile, it became too repetitive.  Anytime the show would start to venture into new territory, Brad Bell would revert things back into the same old patterns.. and it still applies in 2019 as it did back in the mid 90s and thereafter.

• Members

While this is true in the context that there were B and C storyline going on, what struck the most watching those 1988 episodes uploaded by Amy Silence: Ronn Moss was in nearly every single episode. The often touted balance of the Bill Bell years was none as to distribution of appearances is concerned. Ridge was on-screen for more than 200 (!!!!) episodes in 1988, he was also wayyyyyy ahead of everyone else in 1987 and it seems the same happened in 1989. This is something I always thought started in the late 90s/early 2000s when daytime execs tried to save the sinking ship with that focus group wisdom and favoritism of certain actors. Apparently not.