OLTL: Discussion for the week of May 16

• Members

IDA. I thought it was great when it was originally introuced in 2005. That story was a good one, although I hated how they made it Viki's fault for getting her molested. Its the revisits which have crapped on it. I didnt mind it so much in 2008 when Nash died but last year with TeenJess and this current mess of characters is the absolute worst

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The endless rape and molestation in the Lord/Buchanan family has destroyed anything that made them special. We now know that Viki was raped for her entire childhood, that she and Clint somehow allowed Jessica to be raped and put on film, and that Viki enables a man who has raped multiple women and who laughs when he learns his niece was raped.

There was no need for any of this. The exception would be the Viki DID story, because that was generally well-written and superbly acted, but the consequences of that story have been heinous for what should have been OLTL's leading family.

The worst is that DID and sexual abuse have gone from a serious issue to fun.

The 2008 story was what really set this off because that was when they gave up on Jessica altogether. Bree gave some of the worst performances possible that summer, and it ended with hideous scenes of Tess giving birth to a dead baby, but clearly someone decided this was hilarious and they have looked for any excuse to go back to that.

• Members

Since it's not like OLTL has a lot of story to tell (most stories seem to vanish for long periods of time anyway), I wish they had kept Vimal and Rama around together and built them up. That would have been a nice reminder of OLTL's multi-cultural roots, and also a way to shame daytime for not embracing more South Asian actors. Eastenders has, and the Masood family has essentially carried the show at times.

• Members

That is essentially what I meant. When she ran off as Tess and met Nash and all that, fine enough. But perhaps full on DID could have been a subconscious suggestion having witnessed the effects of her mother's abuse, and Jess was really just in a fugue state. Then we wouldn't have had the crutch of DID to drag out whenever they couldn't come up with something interesting for Jessica. It is sickening because in all of its years, the show never abused Viki's illness like it has Jessica's in a fraction of years.

• Members

To put it simply, Jessica is weak. If she went through just a sliver of what Viki has gone through in her life, she would kill herself. For Viki, a cheating spouse isn't necessarily a solid reason to shatter into pieces and create a new alter.

Archived