OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

smh, NOT GONNA ARGUE WITH YOU.  But (1) is NOT a character, she's an actress --- Renee Elise Goldsberry.  (2) The character was Evangeline Williamson, and there were far, far, far worse characters on ONE LIFE, the Ford brothers to name 3. (3) I don't think Evangeline was a bad character, some of the writing toward the end of her story got bad however.

Edited by David_Vickers

• Members

Out of respect for some latter-day friends of the board I am not gonna dig too deep into this topic. I will say I agree with BF that I never liked Evangeline, at least not after they dispensed with her early, more morally ambiguous character. I was thrilled when they cast a Black female on contract to be an ambitious lawyer, I was very excited to see her, but that's not how she turned out; she was on the backburner for most of her first year, and then when she developed I felt Van became a cardboard saint. And I didn't think the terrible writing suited REG's incredible talent, which was clear then but which time and showbiz since have more than proven out for doubters. I always thought she could do so much more than what she was given, and I felt the character was two-dimensional and saccharine. I wanted more for her. (And before Renee really hit it big I kept hoping she'd come out of the coma and give Layla hell as the scheming, perfect big sister trying to take back her man.)

That being said, whatever my issues with the character it can't be denied that Evangeline was a frontburner Black female lead in the biggest love triangle on the show for several years running, with several white leads as well as men of color, and that is a fantastic, revolutionary act - even moreso now on daytime, sadly, in the 2020s, than it was 20 years ago. It simply will never happen now. I thought the show could do better, but the reality is it ultimately had no interest. And in Evangeline, with that level of prominence, regardless of the character issues some of us (specifically, me) didn't know how good we had it.

Edited by Vee