AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

When Erica was away from the show (having her daughter in real life), she was written in the storyline as having moved to Hollywood.  When she returned, she reported that she had tried to get auditions, but no producer would let her.   The only job offers she had had involved removing her clothes, and she had refused.

But also, did Adam, after purchasing the rights to her book Raising Kane, have her starring in the film version that he never intended to release?   I cannot remember for sure.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Erica wanted to play herself in the film, but she was a terrible actress.

In one hilarious scene, Adam has Erica do a screen test; they recreated Erica confronting Faux-Silver over the Kent affair.

Erica was GODAWFUL, over-the-top and mugging, even portraying herself.

Adam replaced her with a different actress — I think the character’s name was Danielle — much to Erica’s horror.

In the end, the film version of Raising Kane bombed at the box-office.

Edited by Pine Charles

• Members

Not to hate on Saundra Quarterman, because I'm sure she gave her all to Angie and to the show, but she is a textbook example of what happens when you have a casting director who thinks "any n***a will do."  Just because she was Black and a female, that didn't mean she was right for Dr. Angie Baxter Hubbard.

• Members

I watched her as a kid when the show originally ran...and I figured she was a new character..but my mom said that was Angie....and I asked who in their right mind would buy she was Angie...and my mom said 'not this viewer's.

She was a good actress but lacked the edge and fire that Debbi Morgan had.

My late mom only tuned back into the show in the last few years when Angie and Jesse came back (she despised greenlee...her favorite moment wad when greenlee was presumed dead lol

• Members

That’s very true. When Debbi chose to leave, the character should have been written out and Quarterman should have been a new character. I can’t think of a good Angela Hubbard recast. 

I I wonder if other actresses were considered for the role. 

Thank you!! After posting, I said “Brandon, why not get on YouTube and search yourself!” 😂

• Members

And there was almost nothing, story-wise, gained from recasting the role. Sharla had a crush on Derek, who was dating Angie. That was about the most dramatic things got.

Some related trivia: Tonya Pinkins, who would show up as Livia Frye not long after Quarterman left, tested against Debi Morgan for Angie back when the role was created.

• Members

Does anyone remember for what storylines or episodes Dorothy Lyman won Emmys? I was reading Schemering's entry on AMC in his encyclopedia the other week and he praised Lyman at length which was a little strange because she was only on the show for 3 years or so. But he also said that her performance was so vivid and loud it detracted from the realism AMC was trying to project. Neither of her wins are on YouTube. NBC, which had the rights to the '83 ceremony, refused to air it because of the network was angry at the academy for something to do with the Sports or News Emmys.

People magazine reported at the time that when Lyman won, Susan pounded the table and stormed out of the ceremony. Only later would she get a sense of humor about it all and realize how all those losses made her so much richer and more famous.

• Members

From the People cover story of Susan Lucci's streak being over: "In 1982 she pounded her fist on a table when OLTL’s Robin Strasser took the best actress honors and reportedly cried a year later, after AMC castmate Dorothy Lyman garnered the gold."

Full article: http://people.com/archive/cover-story-they-love-lucci-vol-51-no-21/