OLTL Did anyone else like Niki Smith?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never got the love for Jean. She has ZERO personality (no pun intended). She is literally an emotionless void with absolutely nothing interesting or exciting about her. My favorite was always Tori, but unfortunately she never gets any recognition. The only alters that get remembered are Niki and Jean

• Members

I'm all altered-out. I don't think there needs to be any more alters. I actually think it's past Erika's time to have to

do these alters. And, I do not look forward at all to seeing Niki/Tess. Tess this time around is way over the top!

• Members

Paul Rauch did reinvent Niki in some ways. For instance, Gillian Spencer's Niki and Erika Slezak's Niki in the 1970's did not wear the long red wig. Also, Niki's favorite waterfront bar was Ernie's, not Backstreet. That bit annoyed me because Ernie's had played such an important role in the early ABC story, right down to Marcy Wade's impersonation of Niki in 1971, an attempt to frame Viki for the murder of Vinnie Wolek.

However, the Niki who appeared in 1985 was actually closer to Gillian Spencer's wonderful, original portrayal of Niki than Erika Slezak's 1970's flashbacks. Erika did not have tapes of Gillian Spencer to compare performances, so she somewhat reinvented Niki into something more aggressive and over the top. Despite the historical inaccuracies of the 1985 story, I found it quite compelling drama in that Niki began to emerge as a real flesh and blood character with deeply genuine feelings. The writers created engrossing conflict from Niki's desire to lead her own life as Nicole Smith. What emerged was a story and character of enormous poignancy, rather than the silly, disposable plot device it is today.

Archived