OLTL: Actor Returns

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was not a big fan of Howarth on OL last time I saw him, but it was the last stint he was on. I never saw the initial Todd/Marty story.

I do not think that this means OL is safe either, but I do hope it means they are giving them yet another chance to get things going. This could very well be the 'last chance'. Hopefully, this will help keep the ratings from free-falling any more than they have been.

As others have said, OL stays under budget and still has plenty of 'fat' they could cut before going GL standards. If Howarth coming back gives the show at least another 6 months before they consider more cuts/cancellation, then I'll take it!

• Members

I can't imagine how they can keep both Todds without making one or both out to be awful men (I know, I know, "Too late") unless there's someone messing with both of their brains (like Dr. Ivan Kipling or something). It would be so typical if they just made RH Todd the REAL Todd who decided he didn't give a damn about his children and wanted out, while in two months time they were back to loving him like he'd never been gone.

• Members

If AMC's getting a new HW doesn't mean that show is safe, RH's return doesn't mean diddly for OLTL.

I feel bad for Ted King though. He's a good actor and he moved his wife and newborn son across the country all for the privilege of working at Lehman Bros of soaps. If what I read is true and there's more production returning to NYC, I hope he gets another gig soon.

Also, I keep seeing people say RH didn't come cheap. Why wouldn't he? He's a middle aged actor who's best known for his role on a soon-to-be-canceled show in a dead genre. He has a light resume and no current prospects to speak of. He's the definition of cheap. He is to OLTL what Grace Lee Whitney is to Star Trek. (Look it up.)

• Members

Because like other soap stars who hit the heights of popularity that he did, the big bucks were offered in order to keep him or to acquire him. He "earned" a certain salary bracket in the soap biz and his representation most certainly brings that to the table when negotiating his deals. As I said in my other post, of course this has been adjusted accordingly in today's soap climate where even Lucci takes a cut. Nevertheless, they aren't looking at him as some middleaged, no prospects dude as they might look at one of the ex-Kevins coming back. I'm sure he will make more than TSJ, at least as much if not more than KDP, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was tickling RS/HBS territory. OLTL made him a well-(over?)-paid big deal and I don't think he or his people are just going to let them forget that now.

• Members

If Howarth is coming back as the "real" Todd, then the whole story will be a complete disaster. The show has invested a lot of story in firmly establishing the current Todd, it would take a lot of retcons to reverse.

• Members

I officially give up on trying to guess all this [!@#$%^&*].

I do not think OLTL is at all safe. But I also don't think ABC would bring on Howarth and give up what was likely some portion of the budget unless the show had at least six months left on the air to play out a story. Maybe we're off in January, maybe earlier, maybe later, maybe there really has been no decision yet but I doubt that.

In any event, given what an automaton TSJ has become I welcome RH back, humbled and hopefully ready to work. He failed spectacularly at ATWT but he has talent and I hope he's ready to use it. I still love Tomas and want him with Blair, and I expect they will do a proper storyline incorporating both King and Howarth - they obviously had planned this Tomas story with at least the possibility of RH being involved, so this is all leading somewhere. And let's face it, St. John's Todd might as well stay in the coma or come out with his 'real' personality, whatever that may be. I do think RC telegraphed his intent several months ago, though, when he had Tea testify to the dubious joys and wonder of her 'new' Todd - I think that's the endgame for those two.

Also, I would not count Susan Haskell and Marty out for good. There is no way in hell this show will not have Haskell and Howarth share scenes when he returns. It is not even a question - it will happen.

Archived