Is ABC Preparing to Cancel AMC and OLTL?

• Members

I'm starting to wonder about Jamey's reporting on this....he says the male View and Tori's show are off the table, and it's down to the Danny Boome cooking show and a reality weight loss show...a "ripoff" of The Biggest Loser, in other words.

But ABC is already planning a primetime ripoff of The Biggest Loser, called Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition. I wonder if he's mixing up primetime and daytime here?

Eh, guess we'll find out this week...

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that at that point most people outside of the soap world knew that GL was way overdue to be canceled. CBS created an atmosphere where GL had a loving farewell in the press. I don't see ABC doing the same for either AMC or OLTL.

• Members

Yes, I believe you and all these random, unnamed sources. Despite there never being a budget sheet shown. ;)

Funny, but the OLTL fans are very quick to say, "Here, take AMC. Hehe." I haven't watched OLTL consistently since I left for the UK (was just to hard to keep up with both shows with the time difference), but I don't want either gone. And am fighting just as hard for BOTH. OLTL fans seem more then okay letting AMC go first...

It makes me sad.

• Members

In fact, the Biggest Loser ripoff debuts on ABC primetime May 30th:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/03/abc-announces-extreme-makeover-weight-loss-edition-for-the-super-obese.html

Would they really do a daytime version as well? Or maybe that's the idea....air it in primetime over the summer and transition it to daytime in the fall....but then if they cancel a soap for this, and then it tanks in primetime over the summer....

Oy. This makes no sense, lol.

• Members

Frons could try to do something completely different, like airing a companion piece in the daytime. They could show what the contestants are doing on a day to day basis, and then the nighttime version would wrap things up, or show the climax to what happened during the daytime version.

• Members

Yeah....I really don't get it, either. Not even the cooking show. And the best talk shows tend to be syndicated, because the hosts make more money that way. ABC already has its daytime talk show, The View...and now CBS has theirs, The Talk. And the only game show that's done well for any of the network daytime skeds for the last 20+ years has been The Price is Right. Let's Make a Deal isn't exactly burning up the airwaves.

I know other shows would be cheaper than soaps...but they also might be a lot lower rated.

But Jamey says people higher up than Frons want out of the soap biz completely. And since rumor is Disney wants to unload ABC (just the broadcast net, not any of the cable properties), cheaper daytime shows would help the bottom line.

Archived